Picture of Henrik Aabom
Distribution of of-the-shelf courses
by Henrik Aabom - Friday, 24 April 2020, 5:12 AM

Maybe someone in here are doing what we are starting to implement, so I was thinking maybe a kind soul would share their experiences :)

We are a small E-learning company based in Copenhagen, Denmark using Adapt as our primary course creation tool and have been for 5 years or so now.
We are stating to get a somewhat large catalogue of of-the-shelf courses and are trying to find the an easy way to distribute them to our clients.

How do you do that?
We are looking into setting up one single Adapt server that all our clients will have access to. Is that the way to go?

And what about on the LMS-side? Are you using one LMS with the courses for each client or do you have one LMS for all clients? Our problem is that if you have a large catalogue of courses, it is much work to upload them all to each LMS.

I know this might be a long shot, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 
Picture of Brook Hayes
Re: Distribution of of-the-shelf courses
by Brook Hayes - Friday, 24 April 2020, 8:16 AM

Hi Henrik

It's worth being aware that if you put multiple clients on one Adapt server now they'll see each others users and media assets - which you probably don't want? (The complexities of running multiple companies on one server meant that multi-tenant was dropped by the authoring tool team a while ago.) 

In terms of avoiding the pain of uploading your catalogue to multiple LMSs... there's no doubt more than one way to solve this, but our approach is to give each client a virtual server.  

We've developed a simple LMS with this purpose in mind. It lets us set up the courses once, centrally, then control which of our clients can access them. If we replace the SCORM file it replaces it on all the client systems at once.

We're more than happy to chat through the hows and whys if you want to connect? 

Picture of Henrik Aabom
by Henrik Aabom - Friday, 24 April 2020, 8:57 AM

Hi Brook

Thanks for your replay! Much appreciated!

Has multi-tenant been dropped? That's news to me, and sad news indeed. It means that we will have to run one Adapt server for each client, as we are doing now, and battle all the maintaining and updating :'(

But it is still a milestone?
https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/milestone/24
and it is still in the roadmap?
https://www.adaptlearning.org/index.php/authoring-tool-roadmap/

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 27 April 2020, 11:13 AM

Has multi-tenant been dropped?

Pete Smith is the man who will be able to answer that for sure... he's on furlough from Kineo at the moment but may still be monitoring this in his personal time and can respond. If not, I'm sure he can answer when he's back at work in June.