Picture of Christian Wehle
Show specific components on specific devices
by Christian Wehle - Thursday, 7 May 2020, 3:49 PM

Hi guys,

I would like to show specific components just on desktop computers (large screen size) and other specific components just on cellphones (small screen size).

Is there any easy possibility in the Authoring Tool to achieve this? 

To understand the background: I would love to use the component 'Hot Graphic', but when switching to the cellphone it automatically changes to a narrative - which isn't helpful in my case. Instead, I would like to show it as a 'Expose'-component on the cellphone.

I would be very happy about some advice.

Kind regards,

Chris

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Show specific components on specific devices
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 7 May 2020, 5:47 PM

Hey Chris

If the hotgraphic-swapping-for-narrative functionality isn't desirable, you might consider using the hotgrid component instead.

Equally if you do want to swap hotgraphic out for a different component you might want to give adapt-hide a go.

Hope this helps...

by Christian Wehle - Wednesday, 13 May 2020, 3:11 PM

Hi Matt,

thanks for your help. I've tried the hotgrid component, but it's not exactly what i want, as the graphic is not splitable by specific parts.

When I wanted to install the adapt-hide-addon in the Authoring Tool, unfortunately I got the error message:

'Error: This plugin is incompatible with version 5.3.0 of the Adapt framework.'

Do you have any idea how i could still install it?

Kind regards,

Chris

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 13 May 2020, 5:29 PM

Sorry, you didn't mention you were using v5 of the Framework. That plugin isn't currently v5 compatible, but it shouldn't take long to update it to be.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 13 May 2020, 5:48 PM

I've made the necessary changes, just need one of my colleagues to review what I've done.

by Christian Wehle - Thursday, 14 May 2020, 3:45 PM

Awesome, Matt! Thank you very much! As i need to release a new version of my e-learning tomorrow, I couldn't wait and wanted to already try it. But after uploading the AT says: 'Error: Failed to parse schema for package adapt-hide'

Is this because it's not fully approved on github yet?

Kind regards,

Chris

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 14 May 2020, 4:35 PM

No, I think it's more likely that no-one has actually yet used it in an Authoring Tool project so issues like it listing one of the property names as _trickle (instead of _hide) haven't yet been spotted!!

I'll fix that in a second for you... That's been amended now. If you don't mind testing it again that would be very helpful, thanks!

by Christian Wehle - Friday, 15 May 2020, 10:20 AM

I've just tried it again: Downloaded the current zip from https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-hide and uploaded it to the AT.

It still says: 'Plugin upload failed Error: Failed to parse schema for package adapt-hide'

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 15 May 2020, 11:33 AM

You're downloading the master branch which is still the v2/3/4 compatible version. You need to use https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-hide/tree/release/v5 for the moment.

by Christian Wehle - Friday, 15 May 2020, 2:00 PM

Thanks for the hint. Now it's working, awesome. Huge thanks!