Picture of Rich Knop
Question / Answer Accessibility
by Rich Knop - Wednesday, 27 May 2020, 7:50 PM

I am currently using the v5 Framework and doing 508 testing of the basic tool and course accessibility for some future development. I am a certified DHS trusted tester and do a lot of testing daily and from reading I know a substantial amount of time went into v5 for accessibility. 

Using some of the other tools I develop with and test on they use the Legend tag fieldset for questions and answers to associate the questions and answers for learners using assistive technology. I see that the tool does not use the legend tag to associate the question and answers so I was curious if this is being accomplished an alternate way? I tested the v5 demo course using the ANDI tool and JAWS and they are not associated any way that I can see or hear.

Per DHS Trusted Testing procedures and WCAG -

Test 5.C for 1.3.1-programmatic-label and WCAG SC 4.1.2 Name, Role,
Value.

At minimum, radio buttons and checkboxes should be programmatically associated with their
question and response.

I have loved everything so far with this tool and am looking forward to doing development with it. However, I am just trying to go through everything in the tool to determine what needs to be accomplished for 508 with development and determine what might need to be avoided etc. 

Thank you for your time.

Picture of AIi W
Re: Question / Answer Accessibility
by AIi W - Wednesday, 27 May 2020, 8:58 PM

Rich - just wanted to thank you for posting this question/information.  508 compliance is a very important topic and I appreciate you doing the leg-work on it.  I am also curious about the response to your inquiry. 

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Thursday, 28 May 2020, 8:53 AM

Could you post this as an issue on github in the same way an issue was put up for the media skip to transcript button?
https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/issues/2784

It's much easier to have discussions about code on github in issues.

> At minimum, radio buttons and checkboxes should be programmatically associated with their
question and response.

You can see from the attached screenshot that the aria labels for each input are updated to show correctness and selection.

JAWS reads these as they are.

Picture of Rich Knop
by Rich Knop - Thursday, 28 May 2020, 1:47 PM

Thank You Oliver

Also, thanks for the link to that github ticket, that was actually another issue that we had flagged to look into.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 28 May 2020, 9:47 AM

Hi Rich

Use of the <legend> tag to associate questions and answers isn't a specific accessibility requirement.

Whenever I have seen the <legend> tag used in actual web pages (not just tutorials) it's been in order to divide up sections of a form, much like this:

The above screenshot is taken from a WAI tutorial on form element grouping - which goes onto to mention an alternative approach using WAI-ARIA - which is what we favour in Adapt since it offers far more flexibility and is more suited to 'single page applications' like Adapt.

As for the question being associated with the options, it's implicit from the order of the DOM elements that the component title/question/instruction/options etc are all associated. Certainly it's not something any tester has ever flagged as being a problem (including a few people who use assistive technology all the time, not just the odd bit of accessibility testing). Even if we were to do something like this its not possible to pinpoint specifically what to link as it could be any/all of the title/body/instruction set.

Automated accessibility testing tools are useful to some extent but do have a tendency to flag things like this.

Picture of Rich Knop
by Rich Knop - Thursday, 28 May 2020, 1:46 PM

Thank you for the clarification Matt and reference info.

I was sure there was a reason behind the aria-lableby that was replacing the legend tag but I was not 100% sure how it functioned. I am just trying to make sure I have an understanding on how everything functions within the tool when submitting for 508 review.