Picture of Michael Gunner
A few basic questions
by Michael Gunner - Friday, 15 August 2014, 10:56 AM

Hello,

I am possibly working on a new project for a client using Adapt. I've never used Adapt before, nor have I ever used an LMS before, so this is all new to me.

I've got Adapt working locally and I've created my first course. First question then is, if I create a second course using the same process, how do they tie together? There doesn't seem to be any parent pages currently. My current course loads under localhost:9001/main.html also, so I'm not sure how I would even access the second course, or the parent page/menu.

Secondly, we do need to use scorm and further down the line tie adapt into an LMS, possibly something called Verified Learning. My confusion with this is exactly how you would access adapt courses within an LMS. Particularly, Verified Learning appears to have it's own e-learning system which could be confusing for learners. Really though, is this something we'd need to hire a back end developer to be able to pair the two together?

Apologies if any of these questions are a bit banal but I've tried to find answers and couldn't so far.

Thanks.

Re: A few basic questions
by Michael Gunner - Friday, 15 August 2014, 11:10 AM

Sorry - but to add, what is the recommended deployment?

As Adapt is JS/HTML, could you just create a course locally, then turn each course into a static site and simply upload via FTP? Or would you run Adapt on the server?

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Friday, 15 August 2014, 11:58 AM

Hi Michael,

Yes, Adapt will output HTML/CSS/JS to the build folder which you can server from your server just like any other page.

Additionally if you include the contrib-spoor plugin, the course will communicate with any SCORM compliant platform, such as an LMS. The usual method for this is to ZIP the content of the build folder and upload into your LMS as a SCORM package.

SCORM will output the learners progress in a standard format, so that your learning platform can understand the progress that has been made. 

Chris

by Michael Gunner - Friday, 15 August 2014, 12:01 PM

Thank you Chris, I think that answers my questions for now. Much appreciated.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 15 August 2014, 12:13 PM

Hi Michael

A course is pretty much a standalone thing, you wouldn't really tie two courses together in the way you are describing. If you've got two things that need to be tied together like that you should be building them as two sections of the same course.

I think you need to find out if your LMS supports SCORM or not. If it does, you will be able to use Adapt with it and you will not need a back end developer, it should just be a case of uploading a zip file containing the course to the server, though some LMSes do like to make this procedure unnecessarily complex.