Picture of Wes Atkinson
Adapt on ARM based processors
by Wes Atkinson - Friday, 15 August 2014, 5:16 PM

Hi,

I've noticed that older versions of linux and ARM based operating systems tend to only have limited older versions of npm and node pre-compiled. Adapt seems to run only on bleeding edge/new node from what I can tell (i may be totally incorrect in that assumption). 

As a result, when trying to install Adapt I have to download the node and package sources and use the compilers on the ARM device itself. After that, The only problem is some of the dependencies/packages which are downloaded look like they are only compiled for intel architecture so again fail. I have found some of those sources, recompiled them and fudged it all together and got Adapt running, but I am running into more issues which are definately down to the install. I guess I know the answer to this question, but for the purposes of asking, has anyone done this successfully on an ARM based processor? If so, can you let me know the process you followed?

I can also send over some errors, but i'm not on the device at present - just thought i'd get the question out there. 

Thanks

Wes

me
Re: Adapt on ARM based processors
by Sven Laux - Tuesday, 26 August 2014, 1:09 PM

Hi Wes,

thanks for asking. I'm afraid I'm not aware of anyone here who us using an ARM based OS - not much help unfortunately...

Sven

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 26 August 2014, 2:34 PM

Don't know if it helps but you can manually do a lot of the things that are done via the adapt-cli e.g. download the core adapt framework, install components/themes/extensions

The one thing you really do need working is Grunt and anything used by the various tasks that it runs. Even some of those are not necessary e.g. 'grunt server' is handy but you can easily replicate this with a local web server.

Picture of Wes Atkinson
by Wes Atkinson - Thursday, 28 August 2014, 9:02 AM

Thanks Matt and Sven,

I'll see if I can get grunt working...Ideally i'd like to be at a point where I have an environment setup where the person can just follow the steps on the Adapt Learning Framework GitHub without errors..

I'm going to keep going until I get the whole lot working eventually, and then i'll publish the steps on here as pre-reqs for Adapt dev environments on ARM devices/OS'.

I'm really excited about the thought of having this working across ARM based processors as this will be a huge step - key for the projects i'm about to start!

Thanks

Wes