Picture of Matt Leathes
Your opinion sought: proposed changes to question component behaviour
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 23 June 2020, 3:59 PM

We are thinking of changing the behaviour of question components in Adapt so that, by default, the 'submit' button is disabled until you have actually made a valid selection - see this ticket.

The question is, would people be happy for us just to go ahead and make that 'the new way' for question components - or would people prefer a configuration option to revert to the old behaviour?

Obviously that means yet another configuration option if we do include it... we're conscious that including too many such options a) is confusing and b) gives us more work ensuring that it works with both settings.

Personally I'd be happy just to change it over, I've always thought the way it worked was a bit odd - and many of the clients I look after actually prefer the 'submit disabled by default' way so it's something I have to override for many projects already. And for those who don't express a preference I suspect they just don't care either way.

Please let us know what you think... either by replying here or, if you have a Github login, on the ticket.

Picture of Barry Jenkin
Re: Your opinion sought: proposed changes to question component behaviour
by Barry Jenkin - Monday, 29 June 2020, 2:15 AM

Yes happy for this change to take effect without a setting to manage.

Would disabled submit apply to slider questions as well or is this an exception? 

I've had problems where multiple slider questions are set up with a single submit enabled and active (allowing users to skip answering altogether and select submit to record the default-position answer for all). For validity, you'd ideally want to force users to select an answer even if that answer is zero or whatever the default value is.

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Your opinion sought: proposed changes to question component behaviour
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 29 June 2020, 9:29 AM

Would disabled submit apply to slider questions as well or is this an exception?

Slider/Confidence Slider would be exceptions to this.

It may be worth suggesting adding a 'force learner to make selection' setting to the slider.