Picture of reinhard staudinger
Installation on Mac Catalina (10.15.5)
by reinhard staudinger - Thursday, 25 June 2020, 3:32 PM

Hi there,

I'm a newbie, come from austria (so pls excuse my bad english) and want to let you know how I did my installation without any sudo. Most of the the time I followed the instructions found here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/wiki/Setting-up-your-development-environment so I wont repeat that stuff here – great tutorial, btw and just outline the the differences.

1. being on Catalina Git is no issue - just get XCode - which is quite useful anyway ;-)
  2. install npm, comes with Node.js (LTS) ... has installer so everything is fine.
  3. running (no sudo!): npm install -g adapt-cli and npm install -g grunt-cli
  4. but: adapt create course
    creates an Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir '/Users/{username}/.adapt/tmp/1bbf5c30-b6f5-11ea-9105-5dcfefc03c59'
  5. permission was not set to the installing user but to root [?]
  6. so sudo chown -R $USER:$(id -gn $USER) /Users/{username}/.adapt to give the permissions to the user
  7. now everything works nicely ...

Hope this helps someone, best, Reinhard

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Installation on Mac Catalina (10.15.5)
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 25 June 2020, 4:20 PM

Well that's odd... I mainly use Windows but occasionally work off a Mac and don't recall having to do anything like this... maybe because I do adapt create course inside a 'projects' subfolder of my home folder, so maybe that gives it better permissions to work with?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to share this, always useful to have solutions to odd problems like this!

Picture of reinhard staudinger
Re: Installation on Mac Catalina (10.15.5)
by reinhard staudinger - Friday, 26 June 2020, 6:50 AM

hm ... I do make my courses in a subfolder of my home as well ... the Error just was caused by the access-error of .adapt in my users-root ... it is strange ... but it works now and i like it :)