Picture of Jonathan Palmer
Guidance on Learning Components for Children's Activities
by Jonathan Palmer - Friday, 15 August 2014, 6:08 PM

WCS is looking to digitize a suite of Pre-K-2 curricula on animal adaptations.  

We are looking to create a solution that will enable us to deliver a curriculum tool kit that will:

i) Provide children a range of interactive learning activities e.g.

• Color by numbers

• Drag shapes onto a wireframe (e.g to create an animal)

• Sort by criteria

• Find an animal (in an image)

• Matching (e.g. teeth to animals)

• Set matching (e.g which animals can see well, which eat grass)

ii) Embed the activities in a range of multimedia:

• Interactive (see below) and offline activities

• Lesson plans

• Class room and out of school/home extensions (follow up activities)

• Information sheets, including science scheet

iii) Allow us to overlay WCS’s own design and branding on the experience.

Our preference is to identify a toolkit for creating the above activities that we could then embed in our our own CMS (Content Management System). However we are willing to look at more broader platforms.

Ideally, the approach would allow WCS:

ii) To deploy the content to a range of devices

iii) To take the approach to develop curricula

We have begun looking at potential platform we could use (e.g. www.hp5.org).  Does anyone have any recommendations?

For product providers:

We have begun looking at potential platform we could use and would like some initial guidance on whether what we are trying to achieve can be delivered through Adapt Learning.  Any guidance?

Picture of Daryl Hedley
Re: Guidance on Learning Components for Children's Activities
by Daryl Hedley - Monday, 18 August 2014, 9:14 AM

Hey Jonathan,

This sounds like a really interesting project. A lot of the things you've listed above are capable in Adapt. In your first point - these are all components that can be built in Adapt with some developer time. Your second point is slightly more complicated and would need some thinking about - but I don't see any issues with this. Your third point is one of Adapt's best features - theming is completely customisable in Adapt. Adapt themes have the ability to change the look and feel and match any clients branding.

With the authoring tool being released soon you'll have a system that you can edit and is pluggable that can adapt to your future needs. This also means you're not limited by another companies list of features - instead you decide which plugins you want and how you want Adapt to work.

Unfortunately the Adapt demo on the site doesn't show off Adapt's true potential - but if you need a demonstration please let me know and I'll try and arrange one. If you feel like Adapt is something you would like to use, please contact some of the companies involved in Adapt and see what they can do for you. Or alternatively, if you have some developer resources you could take the project on yourself. There should be enough documentation here to get you started on creating a component.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Daryl

Aniket Dharia
Re: Guidance on Learning Components for Children's Activities
by Aniket Dharia - Monday, 18 August 2014, 11:30 AM

Hey Jonathan - 

All the mentioned features can be built using Adapt. With the branding of WCS. We can use moodle as a platform and build a theme for WCS in Moodle. You can get in touch with with me via a PM or an email we can discuss it further in a call. Let me know.

Thanks!

Aniket