Picture of Roger Mepham
Easiest OS for Parallels Virtual Machine
by Roger Mepham - Tuesday, 1 September 2020, 4:58 PM

Hello.

I'm trying to install the Adapt Server on a virtual machine running under Parallels on a MacBook Pro.

I got most of the way with an Ubuntu 18.04 OS but go stumped at the end of the "npm install --production" command which threw up errors beginning with;

npm ERR! Linux 4.15.0-115-generic npm
ERR! argv "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/npm" "install" "--production" npm
ERR! node v8.10.0 npm
ERR! npm v3.5.2 npm
ERR! code EMISSINGARG

etc etc

I have a choice of various other Unix OS's i.e.
Fedora, Cent OS, Debian GNU or Mint.

Would it be easier to use on of these, or perhaps there is a ready built image that I could use?

Thanks for all and any assistance.

Roger

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Easiest OS for Parallels Virtual Machine
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 1 September 2020, 6:14 PM

Could it be your version of NodeJS? It looks from the above as if you are using v8.10.0 but the installation guide says:

Important: The authoring tool supports the current Node.js LTS release. Please ensure your machine is using this, as you may experience compatibility issues otherwise!

The current LTS release of NodeJS is v12.18.3

Picture of Roger Mepham
by Roger Mepham - Tuesday, 1 September 2020, 9:01 PM

Thanks you so much for your kind reply and perfect advice. It all installed fine after I had installed the correct node js version using these commands from the website at https://github.com/nodesource/distributions/blob/master/README.md#debinstall:

Thanks again!

# Using Ubuntu
curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_12.x | sudo -E bash -
sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 2 September 2020, 10:03 AM

No problem. TBH the requirement to have the LTS version of NodeJS could be made a lot clearer in the installation instructions!