Picture of Marcus Huzell
Install Adapt on ubuntu 18.04
by Marcus Huzell - Wednesday, 23 September 2020, 5:19 AM

Hi,

I´ve launched a Ubuntu VM on Azure and installed Git, Nodejs, Grunt and MongoDB and followed the rest of the installation instructions. But when I run the node install command I get this error.

Cloned https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework.git successfully.
/temp/5f6a270ce2a31d702d2f405e/adapt_framework switched to revision tags/v5.7.0
error [22 Sep 20 16:32:35 +00:00] Error downloading the framework   ⚠ EACCES: permission denied, open '/home/adapt_authoring/temp/5f6a270ce2a31d702d2f405e/adapt_framework/node_modules/jpegtran-bin/vendor/jpegtran'
  ⚠ jpegtran pre-build test failed
  ℹ compiling from source
  ✖ Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir '/home/adapt_authoring/temp/5f6a270ce2a31d702d2f405e/adapt_framework/node_modules/jpegtran-bin/49b9a470-bb20-4fae-8ea1-05fa38bd5472'
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! jpegtran-bin@5.0.2 postinstall: `node lib/install.js`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the jpegtran-bin@5.0.2 postinstall script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /home/admin-user/.npm/_logs/2020-09-22T16_32_35_345Z-debug.log

ERROR:   ⚠ EACCES: permission denied, open '/home/adapt_authoring/temp/5f6a270ce2a31d702d2f405e/adapt_framework/node_modules/jpegtran-bin/vendor/jpegtran'
  ⚠ jpegtran pre-build test failed
  ℹ compiling from source
  ✖ Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir '/home/adapt_authoring/temp/5f6a270ce2a31d702d2f405e/adapt_framework/node_modules/jpegtran-bin/49b9a470-bb20-4fae-8ea1-05fa38bd5472'
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! jpegtran-bin@5.0.2 postinstall: `node lib/install.js`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the jpegtran-bin@5.0.2 postinstall script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /home/admin-user/.npm/_logs/2020-09-22T16_32_35_345Z-debug.log

I´ve tried most thing I could find on Google, like clearing the npm cache etc but nothing works. I´m not able to find much on jpegtran and I don´t understand why it gets permission denied on mkdir. I ran the command with sudo.

Would really appreciate any help!

Thanks

Picture of Andy Cranston
Re: Install Adapt on ubuntu 18.04
by Andy Cranston - Wednesday, 23 September 2020, 8:23 AM

Hello Marcus,

I recently got Adapt Authoring Tool working on a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04.1 - what version of Ubuntu are you running? When I run:

lsb_release -a

I get:

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal

The one thing I might have done that was "non standard" was to install Node.js from the source code. I needed to download the gcc compiler and some other tools to do this. I made some notes on this - let me know if you would like them.

I had read somewhere (sorry can't recall where) that if you downloaded Node.js using the package manager (apt on Ubuntu) you could run into problems because the package maintainers are often a bit behind the latest release.

Here is my version output for node and npm:

node --version
v12.18.3
npm --version

I did run:

sudo find / -name "*jpegtran*" -print

to see if I could find where jpegtran was on my system but it returned nothing so maybe I don't even have that functionality but I suspect my AAT would not work very well if it could not handle JPEG images! Then again maybe it uses something else if jpegtran is not available?

Cannot think of much else to suggest at this stage - let me/us know how you get on.

All the best,

-Andy.

Picture of Marcus Huzell
by Marcus Huzell - Wednesday, 23 September 2020, 8:54 AM

Hi Andy,

Thanks, I might look at the nodejs installation. I did install it with apt.

BUT i just got the installation to work (like 5 minutes ago) by changing the version from the default install script version, which was 5.x.x something to 4.0.1. Now I jsut need to configure the VM so I can access the adapt installation via the browser.

// Marcus

Picture of Andy Cranston
by Andy Cranston - Wednesday, 23 September 2020, 9:22 AM

Hi Marcus,

Glad to hear you are up and running now.

-Andy.

Picture of Marcus Johnson
by Marcus Johnson - Thursday, 22 October 2020, 8:16 AM

I am in the exact same situation as Marcus H.
Thanks for the tip on trying an earlier version. It made my day!

Any reason why that specific version was chosen?