Picture of Mark Baldwin
Narrative issues on mobile devices since upgrading to 5.7.0
by Mark Baldwin - Monday, 19 October 2020, 6:08 PM

Hello.

We've just come across an issue that didn't appear to be present before upgrading to framework 5.7.0. We're using the latest AT (0.10.4). All plugins, themes, etc are up-to-date and I've run tests without my custom CSS included.

Since the upgrade, it's just come to our attention that on mobile devices, the narrative tool isn't working as it should do. The first item appears fine but when pressing the next button, the top button skips to the 3rd item and is no longer clickable. This only resets once you scroll to the last item and then scroll back.

This issue doesnt replicate on desktop computers, even when the page is minimised to mobile view.

I've looked online and can't see that it's a known issue so wondered if anyone else had come across this before? Any advice would be much appreciated. I've included a preview link for reference.

Thanks in advance.

http://onclick.co.uk/preview/wast/test03/index.html#/id/5f8dcabc348321040b2ebe94

Picture of Mark Baldwin
Re: Narrative issues on mobile devices since upgrading to 5.7.0
by Mark Baldwin - Tuesday, 20 October 2020, 1:31 PM

Hi - I've been doing some more research and figured out what is causing the error.

When the Accessibility is enabled, it's causing the narrative component to skip the second link for some reason? This happens on mobile devices only. Has anyone got an idea why this may be happening and how I can rectify it? I need to have the accessibility enabled for our clients work so diabling it is not a workaround unfortunatelty.

Thanks

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 20 October 2020, 2:17 PM

Hi Mark

Thanks for the additional info; that's very useful. At this point in time I can't say what might be causing this but it's certainly something we'll look into - there seems to be a few issues with hotgraphic/narrative switching at moment that I'd like to focus on next week, time permitting.

If you find out anything further, please do let us know. Might be easiest to get an issue logged if you don't mind?

Picture of Mark Baldwin
by Mark Baldwin - Tuesday, 20 October 2020, 2:23 PM

Thanks Matt. Will log an issue on github shortly.

As a side question, if disable the 'Accessibility' but leave on 'Enable text reader support?' and 'Enable Skip Navigation link?', how will that effect the course in terms of accessibility standards? I see that the image alt tags are still working for example.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 22 October 2020, 4:24 PM

As a side question, if disable the 'Accessibility' but leave on 'Enable text reader support?' and 'Enable Skip Navigation link?', how will that effect the course in terms of accessibility standards? I see that the image alt tags are still working for example.

I'm not entirely sure TBH, it's not something I've ever tried. What I can say is that 'Enable text reader support?' doesn't actually do anything, it looks like it was a setting that we forgot to remove from the AAT interface. I certainly can't see any code that references it!

One thing to mention - I've just setup a FW v5.7.1 course using the adapt-cli... and I don't get this issue, the hotgraphic-as-narrative works fine for me. My accessibility settings seem to be identical and I'm using the same version of hot graphic & narrative as you are - in fact I've got the same versions across the board. I even tried enabling trickle within the page containing the hotgraphic just in case it was that - but no.

Also just to note only seem to get the issue of it putting the wrong 'strapline' in when it's an actual narrative component (e.g. 'What's in the PPE pack'), this doesn't happen when it's hotgraphic-as-narrative (e.g. 'Your Responsibilities')

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 22 October 2020, 4:04 PM

Finally just to mention that we have had some curious issues recently with hot graphic/narrative that should be fixed by this change. I was hoping it might also resolve your issue, but since I'm unable to replicate it I can't check! If you're comfortable with trying something like this, you could do an 'export source' on your course and give it a try?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 22 October 2020, 4:31 PM

One thing you could also try quickly is doing a 'force rebuild'... (the arrow next to Preview Course)

Picture of Mark Baldwin
by Mark Baldwin - Tuesday, 27 October 2020, 8:25 AM

Hi Matt, thanks again for the advice. I've tried the solutions provided but sadly not having any luck unfortunately.

I have tested further using other browsers on Mobile decives and it appears to only be an issue when using the Google Chrome browser for mobile.

Will get this logged on GitHub now and hopefully it's something that can be replicated and rectified shortly.

Picture of Mark Baldwin
by Mark Baldwin - Tuesday, 27 October 2020, 10:14 AM

Scrap that - issue still occurs for other course on all browsers so no nearer rectifying the problem without disabling the Accessibility.