Picture of Rob Mausser
Multiple Adapt courses from the same source solutions?
by Rob Mausser - Wednesday, 11 November 2020, 6:06 PM

We have clients that typically want multiple modules of the same course on their LMS, so they can track induvidual module progress etc rather than everything being in one big Adapt Course with multiple pages.

This can be a bit of a nightmare to project manage. One project we had 15 modules, and that meant 15 adapt builds, with 15 node JS installs, 15 of the same theme folders, 15 components folders etc etc.

It becomes especially problematic when a developer is asked to make a change that is required in a component, theme file, etc, and doesnt copy and paste that change 15 times to the other builds. Whoops! Then someone comes along and makes a different theme change in another build, and now we have fragmentation!

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best practice for this? We use Github so i'm thinking of using branching perhaps based upon one git repo, with the different modules as different branches.

Or, is there a way in Adapt to have multiple "course" folders with different ID's and multiple builds all in the same Adapt Framework project? All working off the same theme, menu, components etc files. 

Cheers

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Multiple Adapt courses from the same source solutions?
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 11 November 2020, 6:53 PM

Or, is there a way in Adapt to have multiple "course" folders with different ID's and multiple builds all in the same Adapt Framework project? All working off the same theme, menu, components etc files.

There certainly is! Our lives here at Kineo would be absolute hell if we didn't have the powerful magic of rub-cli at our disposal... I have one project that's at 60 modules and counting!

(extra bone: with our build tool you also don't need to keep two copies of your JSON & assets, the src/course folder that Adapt typically has is dispensed with)

Are you on the gitter chat, Rob? If you want a quick run-through of this I can spare 5 mins tomorrow to explain the basics...

Picture of Rob Mausser
by Rob Mausser - Thursday, 12 November 2020, 3:00 PM

Im not on gitter-chat but I can be!

Picture of Rob Mausser
by Rob Mausser - Tuesday, 9 February 2021, 7:23 PM

Hey Matt, im having a strange issue with Rub-Cli with only one course. Says there are .less errors but the components work fine in other courses. Can I chat with you on Gitter about it? Cant seem to solve the issue. 

Thanks!

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 10 February 2021, 10:16 AM

sure.