Picture of Jason Wilson
Question relating to final quiz in Authoring tool
by Jason Wilson - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 4:40 AM

Hi guys, I've just started using Adapt Authoring Tool, and am slowly getting my head around it! I do have some questions relating to a course quiz added to the end of my course:

1. I dont quite understand the idea of bands. We currently use Lectora, and its either pass or fail depending on whether you get the right percentage of questions correct. It seems Adapt cannot do this? Can bands be set up as a percentage range (eg:0-84% = fail and 85-100% = pass)? It seems like you need to have a band for every question - eg: if I have 10 questions, then i need 10 bands to cover all score possibilities? I'd be happy to not use bands, but it seems no feedback is displayed if no bands exist?
  2. Where do i go to create a question pool (eg: display 8 out of 10 questions randomly)?
  3. Is there a way that a user cannot do the quiz until they've been through all the content of the course?
  4. Can i have individual feedback on each question? I've set it up to display feedback but nothing is showing when pressing the submit button for each question. I have "Tutor" installed, and can display feedback on single questions outside of this final quiz (and have mirrored these settings to each final quiz question).

I should add I've currently just added all my questions into one page/article - please let me know if this is not the ideal way.

Thanks for any help on this! :)

Picture of Paul Steven
Re: Question relating to final quiz in Authoring tool
by Paul Steven - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 7:30 AM

Hi Jason

Answering your questions one at a time.

1. Bands are a way to display feedback based on different ranges of scores. You set your pass mark via the Assessment Extension (make sure you add this if you have not already done so). So if you set the pass mark in the Assessment extension to 80% that is what determines if the course reports passed or failed to the LMS. You also need the Spoor extension to report the SCORM data to the LMS. The bands do not determine if the user passes or fails but you can create a band that is displayed for any score range. For example if your pass mark is 80%, you could have one band that has a Score of 0 and another with a Score of 80. The first band will display feedback if the user gets a score of 0 to 79. The second band is displayed if they get 80 or above. You could have added a "nearly passed" band say of 60 to tell the user they did really well but didn't quite pass. Make sure the "Assessment Name"  you enter in the Assessment extension settings on the Article matches the name you enter for the "Assessment Name" on the Assessment Results component.

2. You use the Assessment extension to create banks of questions. If you have added the Assessment extension to your course then go to the settings for the Article where you wish to add all your questions and you will see the settings for Question Banks. As far as I am aware it is wise only to add question type components to the article with your assessment in if you are using Question banks.

3. You can lock the page the assessment is in until the user has completed all the other pages. Take a look at "Menu lock type" in Course settings. There is also a "Locked by" setting for each page that can be used in conjunction with some of the Menu Lock types.

4. Within the Assessment extension settings on the Article, there is also a "Show Feedback" setting so ensure you have this enabled both on the question itself and in the Assessment settings on the Article containing your assessment questions.

Hope that helps

Paul

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 10:15 AM

"ensure you have this enabled both on the question itself and in the Assessment settings on the Article containing your assessment questions"

The setting at assessment extension level overrides the setting at question level. Same goes for the show model answer/show marking settings.

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 11:00 AM

Oh thanks Matt - I think I always go belt and braces to be sure but that is good to know:)

Picture of Marie-Eve Levesque
by Marie-Eve Levesque - Friday, 22 December 2023, 2:25 PM

Hi, is it possible to display a list of all failed questions in the assessment feedback?

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Tuesday, 2 January 2024, 8:42 AM

Not using the standard assessmentResults component. You'd need a custom component.

Picture of Jason Wilson
by Jason Wilson - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 12:06 AM

Hi Paul, thanks so much for your advice - I've gone through every one of your comments and can now get everything to work correctly!

Thanks again!