Picture of Daniel Alessi
Starter problems
by Daniel Alessi - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 1:56 PM

Hi
My name is Daniel, E-Learning designer from Switzerland. I have discovered Adapt some days ago and want to give it a try.

So I installed the Framework using this video:

Lots of new stuff for me, so that was already an accomplishment :-)

Adapt then started nicely and I was able to click around a little.

Now, some days later I want to come back and start Adapt again. But it's impossible. If I put "node server" in the command line it says:

(node:7248) Warning: Accessing non-existent property 'count' of module exports inside circular dependency
(Use `node --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)
(node:7248) Warning: Accessing non-existent property 'findOne' of module exports inside circular dependency
(node:7248) Warning: Accessing non-existent property 'remove' of module exports inside circular dependency
(node:7248) Warning: Accessing non-existent property 'updateOne' of module exports inside circular dependency
info [19 Jan 21 14:49:35 +01:00] configuration loaded from C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Dokumente\AdaptAuthoring\adapt_authoring\conf\config.json
internal/fs/utils.js:307
    throw err;
    ^

Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, scandir 'C:\Users\Daniel\Documents\AdaptAuthoring\adapt_authoring\plugins'
    at Object.readdirSync (fs.js:1021:3)
    at PluginManager.getPluginTypes (C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Dokumente\AdaptAuthoring\adapt_authoring\lib\pluginmanager.js:55:27)
    at PluginManager.getPlugin (C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Dokumente\AdaptAuthoring\adapt_authoring\lib\pluginmanager.js:154:26)
    at ContentManager.loadContentPlugins (C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Dokumente\AdaptAuthoring\adapt_authoring\lib\contentmanager.js:522:17)
    at Origin.ModulePreloader.moduleLoaded (C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Dokumente\AdaptAuthoring\adapt_authoring\lib\contentmanager.js:1595:22)
    at Origin.emit (events.js:327:22)
    at Origin.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:467:12)
    at Origin.<anonymous> (C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Dokumente\AdaptAuthoring\adapt_authoring\lib\application.js:164:16)
    at Array.some (<anonymous>)
    at Origin.modulePreloadEventHandler (C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Dokumente\AdaptAuthoring\adapt_authoring\lib\application.js:153:24)
    at Origin.ModulePreloader.emit (events.js:315:20)
    at Origin.ModulePreloader.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:467:12)
    at Origin.ModulePreloader.moduleLoaded (C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Dokumente\AdaptAuthoring\adapt_authoring\lib\pluginmanager.js:541:21)
    at Origin.emit (events.js:327:22)
    at Origin.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:467:12)
    at Origin.<anonymous> (C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Dokumente\AdaptAuthoring\adapt_authoring\lib\application.js:164:16)
    at Array.some (<anonymous>)
    at Origin.modulePreloadEventHandler (C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Dokumente\AdaptAuthoring\adapt_authoring\lib\application.js:153:24)
    at Origin.ModulePreloader.emit (events.js:315:20)
    at Origin.ModulePreloader.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:467:12)
    at Origin.ModulePreloader.moduleLoaded (C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Dokumente\AdaptAuthoring\adapt_authoring\lib\database.js:575:12)
    at Origin.emit (events.js:327:22) {
  errno: -4058,
  syscall: 'scandir',
  code: 'ENOENT',
  path: 'C:\\Users\\Daniel\\Documents\\AdaptAuthoring\\adapt_authoring\\plugins'
}

The path is correct, as that is where I installed all the strange (to me anyway) stuff.

So what am I doing wrong? How can I start the Framework again?

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Starter problems
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 2:49 PM

Hi Daniel

First thing to mention is that you are actually working with the Adapt Authoring Tool (or AAT for short) rather than the Framework.

When using the AAT it has a copy of the Framework in it - but you don't (and shouldn't) work with it directly, the AAT handles that for you.

(You can install the Framework by itself and work with it directly - it's easier to set up and run but does mean that you'll have to be comfortable editing JSON files and doing simple HTML formatting.)

As for the problem you're having, the thing that immediately stands out is that the log has a mixture of this path:

C:\Users\Daniel\Documents\AdaptAuthoring

and this path:

C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Dokumente\AdaptAuthoring

So it seems like it might be getting quite confused by the Symbolic Links that Windows uses to make your OneDrive documents folder point to your 'userhome' document folder.

Picture of Tom Ward
by Tom Ward - Saturday, 30 January 2021, 12:08 PM

I have another very basic question as someone just starting. Thought I'd post here instead of creating a new thread. 

I installed the authoring tool successfully a few days ago actually using the same video as op, and had a play around with it - seems to work perfectly. 

Coming back to it a few days later, I now want to run the authoring tool again and create some content. 

I thought this would just be a case of running node server from the correct file path, but have realised that I need to start up MongoDB and having never done this other than for the installation I'm a bit stuck as what to do at this step. 

Could anyone be so kind as to give instructions as to how to launch the authoring tool once installed? 

Picture of Tom Ward
by Tom Ward - Saturday, 30 January 2021, 12:53 PM

Update: 

I worked out how to start a MongoDB session using these instructions:

1. Create and name a file 'data' and within that 'db' on C:

2. Launch cmd from the mongodb filepath

Adapt will then launch through localhost:5000. However, it won't recognise the master username and password that I created upon installlation and gives the following message 

info [30 Jan 21 12:45:24 +00:00] Supporting the following authentication types:
info [30 Jan 21 12:45:24 +00:00] - local
info [30 Jan 21 12:45:27 +00:00] Connection established: adapt-tenant-master
warn [30 Jan 21 12:45:31 +00:00] - Course Creator doesn't exist, cannot update
warn [30 Jan 21 12:45:31 +00:00] - Authenticated User doesn't exist, cannot update
warn [30 Jan 21 12:45:31 +00:00] - Super Admin doesn't exist, cannot update
info [30 Jan 21 12:45:40 +00:00] Adapt authoring tool 0.10.5.
info [30 Jan 21 12:45:40 +00:00] Adapt framework 5.10.0.
info [30 Jan 21 12:45:45 +00:00] Server started listening on port 5000

Any tips on how I make all this work on localhost so it links in with my master username and password?

Thank you for any assistance, and if you know of a resource I can follow rather than asking questions, I'd be grateful for any direction. 

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Saturday, 30 January 2021, 9:58 PM

Hi Tom,

Can you confirm the you're working on Windows? or linux/Mac?

Picture of Tom Ward
by Tom Ward - Saturday, 30 January 2021, 10:21 PM

Hi Chuck, 

Thansk for your response. Yes, Windows 10.

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Saturday, 30 January 2021, 10:33 PM

I'm running on Ubuntu as a single user (no team server). This page worked for me: https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/installation/
Find your operating system and work through the steps. If it didn't work, come back with some info abt where you think it's failing.

Look for this section and choose your OS from here:

If you are running Windows, review the sections labeled "If You Installed MongoDB as a Window Service" and "If You Did Not Install MongoDB as a Windows Service".

Let us know what's happening.

Picture of Tom Ward
by Tom Ward - Saturday, 30 January 2021, 11:50 PM

Hi Chuck, 

So I've managed to take a step forward. I'm now running Mongodb then node server from the root folder where I cloned the adapt tool and it all looks good. 

Now the issue im having is it won't seem to accept the master username and password I set up during installation. 

Again, I can't find instructions on how to correct this or work out what I've done wrong, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Sunday, 31 January 2021, 12:09 AM

Sorry, Tom. I haven't been in your situation. I'm at a loss as to how to advise you--other than to suggest reinstalling. There may be a way to inspect and reset your username/password using Robo 3T or Compass. But you may get more specific advice from someone else.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 1 February 2021, 10:27 AM

https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3367#p11987