Picture of Jason Wilson
Centralising Authoring Tool for multiple users
by Jason Wilson - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 12:51 AM

Just wondering what others are doing to centralize the Authoring Tool for multiple users?

We have 2 e-learning developers in different locations, and trying to figure out the best way to use this great tool.

I'm guessing the Authoring Tool cannot be installed on a web server (eg: Hostgator, etc.)?

The other option could be to have a server box installed at work that we can remote access, but at this stage I'm unsure if this is technically feasible for us.

Or do we just have an instance each on our own computers, and import/export courses when the other developer needs to work on them?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Can somone direct me to how I would add additional users to the authoring tool, as I only added my details when doing the initial install.

Thanks!

Picture of Paul Steven
Re: Centralising Authoring Tool for multiple users
by Paul Steven - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 7:22 AM

Hi Jason

You can indeed install Adapt Authoring Tool on a server. I did this on some cloud service called Digital Ocean and it was pretty simple to do. The theory should be the same on any server. This enabled me to set it up so multiple people could access it remotely.

To add additional users, click on the Hamburger icon and select User Management. Here you should be able to add additional users.

Cheers

Paul

Picture of Jason Wilson
by Jason Wilson - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 8:55 PM

Great, thanks Paul. I've used Digital Ocean in the past, so will check them out again.

Picture of Ailiniyazi Maimaiti
by Ailiniyazi Maimaiti - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 8:13 AM

Hi Jason,

Adapt Authoring Tool can be installed on a normal web server, which you can install tools, like node, npm, git, MongoDB and grunt. If it is a shared web hosting, you can contact your hosting providers, since shared web hosting usually not allow users to install such tools.

Picture of Jonathan Briggs
by Jonathan Briggs - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 8:26 AM

The only addition you'll probably want beyond a normal install is Forever (https://www.npmjs.com/package/forever) which means you don't need an open shell on a machine logged into the server to run node. I mention it because it was ages before someone made me aware!

Picture of Jason Wilson
by Jason Wilson - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 8:57 PM

Thanks for the advice. So this would just allow Node server to run continously?

Picture of Jonathan Briggs
by Jonathan Briggs - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 7:45 AM

Yes, that's right. With Forever you don't need an active logged in window to the server, if you know what I mean. If you've got it local on an iMac for instance it's not a problem to have an active Terminal Shell running the node server… as long as you don't forget what's what when you're working on something else.

Picture of Jason Wilson
by Jason Wilson - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 8:41 PM

I know exactly what you mean - thanks for your help!