Picture of Sherri Fricker
Pop-up on word to provide definition
by Sherri Fricker - Wednesday, 3 March 2021, 10:36 PM

Hello,

I am using the Adapt Learning authoring tool and would like to be able to set up some words so that users can click on them and a pop-up window appears with the definition.

I am not super technical so would appreciate step-by-step instructions if this is possible.

Thanks!

Sherri

Picture of Caleb Foster
Re: Pop-up on word to provide definition
by Caleb Foster - Thursday, 4 March 2021, 8:07 AM

Hello Sherri

Have you tried using the hotgrid component? https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-hotgrid

Thanks

Caleb

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Thursday, 4 March 2021, 10:10 AM

Sounds like you are looking for "tooltip" functionality. While the following is not a tooltip, it's a tried and true strategy that might meet your needs.

1. install adapt-contrib-glossary
  2. add terms and definitions to the Glossary
  3. add your text content to the page in a normal fashion
  4. wherever your special words appear, link them to the matching term in the Glossary. Using this model, wrap the word/phrase in your text with this code:
    <a href='#' data-glossaryterm='sinusitis'>sinusitis</a>
    If you are working in the AAT, switch the config editor into "Source" mode so you add this directly into the HTML.

This technique is described in the Glossary's README under "Usage" at https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-glossary   

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Thursday, 4 March 2021, 11:10 AM

Thanks Chuck - I wasn't aware you could do this.

Do you know if it would work for something like the About us extension to have a hyperlink to open a section in the About us content?

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Thursday, 4 March 2021, 1:48 PM

Paul, I don't know--yet. I didn't code it with that in mind. But it's an idea that I'll pursue--if Adapt magic doesn't make it work already.

by Sherri Fricker - Thursday, 4 March 2021, 3:19 PM

Thanks! I will definitely give this a try!

by Sherri Fricker - Monday, 8 March 2021, 4:10 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the help with this. I can get through all the steps, but when I save and then go back in, the HTML code has been stripped

Picture of John Niezen
by John Niezen - Tuesday, 9 March 2021, 7:02 AM

I make jumps in my document like this: <a href="./#/id/5f800b46437c4d17e40796a7">Consulting tips for noise issues</a>

I think I remember in an old post it are the single vs double quotes that was needed.

by Sherri Fricker - Tuesday, 9 March 2021, 3:53 PM

I wasn't able to find IDs associated with the glossary terms. Technically, we're not jumping to that location, we're just trying to have a pop-up appear.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 9 March 2021, 4:58 PM

Ignore the bit about IDs, John's saying you need to try using single quotes instead of double quotes

by Sherri Fricker - Tuesday, 9 March 2021, 5:14 PM

Turns out we had to allow the 

• data-glossaryterm="" attribute for links in the WYSIWIG editor to support the use of the Glossary plugin.