Paul Welch
Adapt Hack Update
by Paul Welch - Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 12:19 PM

Hello everyone,
We’re really excited about the Adapt hack in Derry so we’ve been busy racking our brains to think of ways to use the time and the talent of all those present. We’ve decided to bring with us a suitcase of code that contains lots of new functionality which has been developed and refined by Kineo for use in various commercial projects over the last 6 or so months, and which we’re now looking to feed into the open source framework to keep it on the leading edge.

These plugins are all functioning code but they require a little refactoring to ensure they meet the necessary standards that the open source project demands. We thought this would be a great activity for the hack as people can get their hands on the code and see how we’ve gone about developing this new functionality, whilst also carrying out valuable work that will greatly enhance what can be done with Adapt ‘out of the box’, and all in 24 hours! It also provides you with access to the core team who will be more than willing to answer your questions and provide insights into how they go about working with the framework. At the last count there were 20 new plugins on the list for refactoring. About half of these Kineo have already committed to take on and maintain, so that still leaves 10 up for grabs. I’ll be posting an updated roadmap of all 20 over the coming days so have a look and see if there is something which takes your fancy.

During the hack we’ll also be running sessions on developing, designing and theming for Adapt so if you want to get involved on the project then don’t miss this as it will be a great opportunity to learn about how to work with the framework. We’d love to see as many of you there as possible as we think it’s going to be a great event, and don’t forget that we also have the bursary available for those that feel they can contribute but require some assistance due to any costs of attending.

Thanks,
Paul

Picture of Paul McElvaney
Re: Adapt Hack Update
by Paul McElvaney - Thursday, 11 September 2014, 2:18 PM

This is actually getting quite exciting!

As you all know my role in this is purely administrative but here are a few things to note:

I think a lot of people are coming over on Monday and you're all welcome to the Learning Pool office. We're at the City Factory, 100 Patrick Street, Derry, BT487EL. Its round the corner from the City Hotel and easy to find. We've reservered the board room for the day for you guys to get started.

I've reserved the cottage on Tuesday and Wednesday and there'll be wifi and unlimited coffee and snacks throughout the day from the good folks at Cafe Del Mondo. We have to clear the place on Wednesday at 5pm to make room for another event but Mark Lynch will guide everyone to somewhere fun for a few well deserved pints.

Ashley in the Learning Pool office is around all week to help with any travel stuff you might need.

You should really have a look at the CultureTECH agenda and if there's anything you want to go to just show up, book or ask me and I'll get you a ticket. I'd really recommend the friday night mashup - don't let the name fool you, its on THURSDAY night and takes place across the peace bridge in an old military barracks. Tickets are free and the bar tab is massive - go here to reserve yours https://getinvited.to/fnmashup/friday-night-mashup-culturetech-2014/

Finally the weather - its 23 and sunny today but it could be snowing by next week (seriously... anything could happen)! bring plenty of clothes and something waterproof. Also comfy shoes if you want to walk the walls in Derry - they're great but bumpy!

Picture of Paul McElvaney
by Paul McElvaney - Thursday, 11 September 2014, 2:36 PM

Oh, and this thing will be in Derry http://www.rfidome.com/

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Monday, 15 September 2014, 1:46 PM

Hi Paul, can't wait to meet up, I'll be flying in on the Tuesday evening.

Is the Learning Pool cottage easy to find? and is there nearby parking?

Cheers!

Chris