Picture of Winston Ahsam
Scorm 1.2 Suspend Data limit 4096Bytes
by Winston Ahsam - Wednesday, 23 February 2022, 5:59 AM

Hi,

Is there a way to keep the suspend limit below 4096Bytes with large courses? Is the SPOOR component compression this data, if not is this possible? We make large courses and the experience is at some point the courses are not saving the users progress and Im very sure its becuase the suspend data has been exceeded?

Is there a way in the Adapt authoring tool to keep certain components from been added to the suspend data so we can keep the limit below 4096Bytes?

Anyone found solutions around this limitation when using Adapt?

Thanx in advanced :-).

Picture of Paul Hilton
Re: Scorm 1.2 Suspend Data limit 4096Bytes
by Paul Hilton - Wednesday, 23 February 2022, 9:16 AM

Hi Winston.

I believe the default is for spoor to "Store question state" this adds a lot of data to the suspend data string as each question adds its identifier (about 20 chars) to the string e.g. "CIhOiBYQEEA4MfCgi", 

I dont think theres a lot to be gained from compressing the string... its really a limitation of SCORM. 

However it should still save progress to some degree - e.g. if the complete it should show as complete. 

However some LMSs will close the course if there are any SCORM errors which would include trying to save too much suspend data.

Which LMS are you using?

Paul - (Can Studios)

Picture of Paul Hilton
by Paul Hilton - Wednesday, 23 February 2022, 9:57 AM

I should probably mention a lot of LMSs (including ours) have a higher limit on suspend data to be more tolerant in this area. The value was increased (i think 64000 chars of the top of my head) in scorm 2004.  

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Wednesday, 23 February 2022, 9:59 AM

The latest version of spoor has some further compression in it:
https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-spoor#_shouldcompress-boolean

Turning this off stores only completion for all components:
https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-spoor#_shouldstoreresponses-boolean

There is currently no way to turn off individual components.