Paul Welch
New Functionality
by Paul Welch - Friday, 12 September 2014, 9:48 AM

Hi everyone,

I’m pleased to provide an update on some upcoming functionality that will shortly be made available.

The components shown below titled as Contrib are plugins that in this case Kineo are making a commitment to document and maintain going forward. The components in the table titled as Community will also be made available but these will not necessarily be fully documented and Kineo are not making a commitment to maintain moving forward. However, we are making the code available as is, with a view that others within the community can bring it up to standard, provide the necessary documentation and commit to maintaining.

We'll organise a series of webinars to outline the available functionality and to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks,

Paul

Contrib

Priority

Component Name

Category

High Level Description

Notes

Search

Contrib – Extension

A search feature which searches keyword entered against metadata assigned to blocks. Multiple results ordered by algorithm to sort results by relevance.

Selecting results takes learner to location.

Will be WCAG 2.0 AA compliant.

Already fully documented.

Bookmarking

Contrib – Extension

Allows returning users to be either taken to menu or their last location.

Should perhaps be in the core bundle?

Advanced Assessment/Randomised banks

Contrib – Extension

A more advanced assessment which allows for:

1. questions to be presented in a randomised order
  2. banks of questions. The number of questions in a given bank and the number taken at random for inclusion in an assessment is configurable
  3. points 1 and 2 to be combined

Will be AA. Includes the results screen. Already documented

Adapt Cover Menu

Contrib - Menu

A new type of menu. Present a page for each menu item. Page contains a large image and a small amount of accompanying text and a start button.

Navigation between menu items is achieved via buttons to the left and right of the page or by the quick nav feature at the bottom of the window.

Article Reveal

Contrib – Extension

Selecting a button will reveal a previously hidden article.  This article behaves as per any other article. You can think of it as a pop-up in reverse. We’ve used it for presenting content that has required differentiating in some way, for example case studies to support the content being addressed on the rest of the page.

Hot Grid

Contrib - Component

Very similar to hot graphic however instead of the using the dropper icons you can now arrange images in a grid. Visited state is controlled via the CSS.

Shallow Branching

Contrib - Component

A 2 stage MCQ which allows the learner to experience a ‘shallow branching’ experience.

The learner can select an option which triggers feedback. If the question is correct then option specific feedback is presented and the question is marked as complete. If an incorrect option is chosen then option specific feedback is presented. Once feedback is closed the question now shows a new stem which shows updated content that reflects the choice made by the learner. In addition, the previously selected option is now no longer visible.

Upon selection of a 2nd incorrect attempt the question would be failed.

No accessibility planned at present.

Hot Spot Menu

Contrib – Menu

A new menu.

Allows for menu item icons to be positioned on a background image. Once an icon is selected a start button and some accompanying information is displayed.

No accessibility planned at present

Page Completion Check

Contrib – Extension

A notification feature which informs the learner who is trying to navigate away from an incomplete page that there is unseen content still to be viewed.

No accessibility planned at present

Header and Footer Nav

Contrib – Extension

Navigation extensions which allows navigation either back to menu or to previous or next page within the course structure without having to use the back button to reach a menu.

Community

Priority

Component Name

Category

Effort

Notes

Graphical Background Switcher

Community  - Extension

An extension which automatically changes the background graphic as a learner scrolls down the page. Background switching is triggered via blocks or articles selected in JSON.

N/A

Multiple Slider

Community  - Component

Allows the values of multiple sliders to have a direct impact on how an accompanying graphic is presented.

The ratio of each slider can be independently set so that each can have a greater or lesser bearing on the output.

For example, it might be how vary factors such as age, altitude, fitness can all impact lung capacity. As the sliders are moved the size of an accompanying pair of lungs increase or decreases.

Unlikely to meet AA requirements as at present comprehension requires visibility of the output image.

Timed Sequence

Community  - Component

A question component where the learner watches a timed sequence of images and a short piece of accompanying text. The learner has to decide at each stage of the sequence whether what they’ve seen is acceptable or not.

Never AA compliant as is timed and requires visibility of the images.

Accordion Menu

Community - Menu

A new menu.

Similar to the accordion component but full screen, each item contains text, an accompanying image a Start button.

List

Community  - Component

Similar to a hot graphic but text is displayed to right of images. Mobile view shows this as a stacked list of images and text.

Wipe

Community  - Extension

An extension which allows for navigation between articles to require selection of a button. Once selected there is a wipe effect. Multiple blocks/scrolling within the article is still possible.

Scrolling animation

Community  - Component

An animation within a block that plays as the users advances down through an article - either by scrolling or by selecting a play button (which also scrolls the page as well as controlling the animation).

Unlikely to meet AA requirements as at present comprehension requires visibility of the output image.

PPQ (Pin Point Question)

Community  - Component

Similar to Graphical MCQ, however rather than selecting an image you are dropping a pin on a location (coordinates set in JSON) within an image, one or more of which will be correct.

For example, you might ask a learner to drop two pins one at the peak and the other at a trough on a graphical representation of a sine wave.

Unlikely to meet AA requirements as at present comprehension requires visibility of the image.

Picture of Ben S
Re: New Functionality
by Ben S - Monday, 15 September 2014, 12:36 PM

They all sound great! I'd be especially interested in the "Header and Footer Nav" component, even if it still needs some work. Will these all be going up on github?

Ben

Picture of Gavin McMaster
by Gavin McMaster - Monday, 22 September 2014, 7:41 AM

Hey Ben,

So we demoed most of these features at the Adapt Hack in Derry last week. All seemed to be well received. There seemed to be particular interest in Bookmarking, Search, Article Reveal, the Cover Flow menu, and the Page Completion Notification. Our plan is to get these up to the requirements for contrib status and get them registered on the Adapt registry and on the Adapt Learning Github.

We're also planning to record a webinar to demo these features in action.

The Header and Footer Nav requires a bit more work than those listed above but the plan is to get all these components shared eventually. 

Picture of Harry Fox
by Harry Fox - Wednesday, 9 December 2015, 10:20 AM

Hi All,

How is the Footer Nav coming along? For our purposes it'd be pretty integral.

Best regards,

Harry

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 18 December 2015, 12:26 AM

Hi Harry

Sorry about the slow response.

The Footer Nav plugin is called 'quicknav' and you can get it from here.

We haven't set up the configuration to make it work with the authoring tool yet, but if you want to use it with the framework, it's good to go.

Picture of Ashley Sinclair
by Ashley Sinclair - Wednesday, 22 October 2014, 11:43 AM

Hi all,

These components will now be featured in a free to attend webinar hosted by City & Guilds Kineo. 

When: November 4th, 11AM GMT

Paul Welch will be showing these components in action with live demos, and showing how you may be able to use these too. 

Register to attend the webinar using this link: http://resources.kineo.com/adapt-webinar-registration-nov14

Feel free to share and invite others to attend! 

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Tuesday, 22 December 2015, 12:08 PM

This thread lists a search component that is "Already fully documented"

Is this documentation available somewhere?

Picture of Sam Tsiu
by Sam Tsiu - Tuesday, 22 December 2015, 12:44 PM

I think it's this one developed by Kineo.

I used this extension in one of my courses if works great. I'm developing against the Framework, not sure if it works in the Authoring Tool.

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Tuesday, 22 December 2015, 3:01 PM

Hey Sam

Thank you for the reply. Can you give me a heads up on how to use this search extension in the Framework.

I tried adding the extension into the src/extensions folder naming the folder adapt-search and added the following code to a block between "body": and "_trackingId":

"_search": {
"keywords": [
"words",
"to",
"describe",
"content"
]
},

And the following in course.json but nothing appears in the block when I view the course

"title": "",
"description": "Type in search words and enter",
"noResultsMessage": "Sorry, no results were found"
}

I am using the latest version of the Adapt Framework

Picture of Sam Tsiu
by Sam Tsiu - Tuesday, 22 December 2015, 6:11 PM

Hi Paul, 

The search extension will add a search field/input in the drawer  if you installed and built it correctly.

The code such as the title and description in the course.json will show in the drawer. The keywords you added in the blocks.json will be the search word for the corresponding blocks and components.

For example, you have a narrative component id c-10 contained within a block b-10. If you want the narrative c-10 to be searchable, you need to add keywords to b-10, the keywords is defined by you, e.g. rice, food, fish, steak, nutrition. 

When a user search with one of the keyword you defined, the result block will be listed in the drawer. 

I've attached a screenshot of my course with a search result, take a look (sorry it's in Chinese, but you get the idea).

hope this is of help.

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 9:46 AM

Hi Sam

Thank you for Sam, that is really helpful.

I am not getting this appearing in my drawer - all I am getting in the drawer is the resources for the course.

I suspect I must be doing something wrong.

I have attached my course.json and blocks.json files in case anyone had a moment to look at these and see if anything glaringly obvious I am doing wrong here. And a grab of what I have in the extensions folder.

Are you using the latest (version 2) of the Adapt Framework?

Many thanks

Paul

Picture of Sam Tsiu
by Sam Tsiu - Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 12:55 PM

Hi Paul

I think you have misplaced the search code in your course.json.

It should be placed at the same level as other extensions such as bookmarking,  not inside the extensions.

"_assessment": {
"_postTotalScoreToLms": true,
"_isPercentageBased": true,
"_scoreToPass": 75
},

"title": "Search",
"description": "Type in search words and enter",
"noResultsMessage": "Sorry, no results were found"
}

"_bookmarking": {
"_isEnabled": true,
"_level": "block",
"title": "Bookmarking",
"body": "Would you like to continue where you left off?",
"_buttons": {
"yes": "Yes",
"no": "No"
}
}

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 2:31 PM

Thank you Sam. I have fixed that mistake but still nothing is appearing in the drawer for the search.

Can you confirm if you are using Version 1 or Version 2 of the Adapt Framework please?

Thanks

Paul

Picture of Sam Tsiu
by Sam Tsiu - Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 3:11 PM

That's odd. 

I'm using the latest v2 framework.

Picture of Sam Tsiu
by Sam Tsiu - Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 3:20 PM

what errors/messages do you get from terminal when you grunt build the course?

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 4:02 PM

Thanks Sam for the clarification.

If I use the master branch of the extension, I get no errors whatsoever.

But I get no search elements appearing in the drawer.

Very odd that it works for you but not for me - guess there is something not quite right this end

Picture of Sam Tsiu
by Sam Tsiu - Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 4:32 PM

very odd, indeed. Yes, the master branch of adapt-search works for me.

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Monday, 4 January 2016, 1:53 PM

Ok first day back after an enjoyable break and going to have another attempt at installing this search extension in the Adapt Framework (v2)

I don't recall if I ever ran the following command in my previous attempts

adapt install adapt-search

However attempting to do so gives me the following error message:

C:\Users\Paul\adapt\My Second Course>adapt install adapt-search
The plugin adapt-search is not compatible with this version of Adapt. Installing it may cause unexpected behaviour.
Confirm Install this plugin anyway? (n) y
Oh dear, something went wrong. Package adapt-search not found

I have copied the adapt-search folder into the src/extensions folder

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong here?

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Monday, 4 January 2016, 3:52 PM

I now realise the install issue is not the problem and was simply due to the adapt-search extension not having been registered 

So back to where I was previously with nothing appearing in the drawer for the search.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 4 January 2016, 4:46 PM

Hi Paul

This extension hasn't really had much use since 2014 until very recently... we're in the process of making some updates to it - see here for (a bit) more info.

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Monday, 4 January 2016, 5:06 PM

Hi Matt

Thank you for your reply and the link. I had noted that the extension was mentioned way back in 2014 but couldn't find much about it. I did see a video from a webinar in 2014 of it in action on the Kineo website.

I was just totally confused how Sam was able to install it with the latest version of the framework and I am not able to get it to appear. If it is simply a case that it does not work with the latest version of the framework I am happy to just give up but if Sam has it working I wanted to try and get it working this end. But so far I have had no joy at all:(

FYI, I am just creating a course using adapt create course and then adding the extension to the src/extensions folder and updating course.json and blocks.json

From my understanding, this is all that is required to get it working but no search elements appear in my drawer. Perhaps something else is conflicting or I am missing a vital step.

I am getting no errors when I run the grunt build command

Thanks

Paul

p.s I see you are also in Somerset. Lovely part of the world!

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Monday, 4 January 2016, 5:12 PM

Ok I have managed to get the search to appear in the drawer by removing the resources element from the course.json file

Phew! 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 4 January 2016, 8:13 PM

I'm glad you got it working - very strange it should require you to remove the resources first... I'll have to have a test of this once the new version is properly released.