Cory Shain
Authoring tool stuck "Loading"
by Cory Shain - Friday, 31 October 2014, 5:32 PM

Hello,

I'm brand-new to Adapt and not a developer, so I apologize for this basic question. We're hoping to use adapt in a course we're teaching at Ohio State University next fall, but it needs to be edited by a wide variety of people who are not developers, so the authoring tool will be critical if this is going to work.

I've downloaded, installed, and run the authoring tool on my local machine according to the instructions here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring. At first, everything was going great. It let me configure the tool and create my first course in the browser without a hitch. However, when I click on the course to edit its content or settings, I get an endless "Loading" wheel. One possible source of this problem is that the node and grunt servers I'm supposed to be running simultaneously are both trying to listen to port 3000, so I get an error ("Error: listen EADDRINUSE") on whichever one I run 2nd. I'm not sure how to fix this, and any help on it would be great.

Thanks,

Cory

Picture of Daryl Hedley
Re: Authoring tool stuck "Loading"
by Daryl Hedley - Sunday, 2 November 2014, 9:28 PM

Hi Cory,

It's great to hear you're thinking about using Adapt next fall. Unfortunately we haven't released the authoring tool so support on this won't be available just yet. Running this from the develop branch is not recommended as it's in constant development. We're looking for a release before the end of December for a one user solution. I hope this falls into line with your plans for using Adapt?

Thanks,

Daryl 

me
by Sven Laux - Saturday, 1 November 2014, 1:26 PM

Hi Cory,

thanks for your note.

I'll see if we can help figure out the issue next week. As Daryl says the tool is not quite released as stable yet so may not be production ready. I'll speak to the team to see if we can help get you up and running regardless.

We are working towards engaging early adopters in the education sector directly from the Adapt Learning core team and offering a limited amount of support for organisations who are willing to beta-test.

We'll be looking at starting with that and offering out a limited amount of 'supported early adopter' slots for orgs who want to try the tool in anger and are happy to input into the project shortly after the release of our v0.1. I will post something nearer the time.

All the best,
Sven

Cory Shain
by Cory Shain - Saturday, 1 November 2014, 3:14 PM

Thanks so much for your quick feedback, guys. It's no problem for me to wait until late December, and I'm glad to hear you're still planning on rolling the beta out then. The reason I was trying to get the authoring tool up and running this early was that I'm currently in the process of pitching Adapt to a number of stakeholders in our fall course. I need to be able to show them both that the output meets all of our goals and that the authoring process works for non-technical content creators/curators. I've been able to build a sample course without the authoring tool, which I've been showing around, and it's getting a lot of buy-in. Being able to demo the authoring tool would be icing on the cake, but people seem to be generally on-board, so it's not necessary if there will be a functioning beta by the start of next semester (Jan 15) so we can begin work on content development.

Given all this, yes, we'd be interested in being one of your supported early adopters, so please keep me in the loop as to the process for that.

Thanks again,

Cory