Picture of Brian Knowles
Authoring Tool Limitations?
by Brian Knowles - Thursday, 13 November 2014, 3:22 PM

Hello amigos!

I've got a few questions regarding the long anticipated Adapt authoring tool.

If we develop a custom Adapt solution without the tool, will a client still be able to leverage the authoring tool and maintain/edit content?

I understand you can upload custom extensions and components to the tool's back end - but if the course structure is more complex, i.e. branching scenarios, will the build still connect seamlessly to the authoring tool?

Will there be any limitations to authoring tool? If so what will they be!?!?

Any help would be very much appreciated!.

brian

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Authoring Tool Limitations?
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 13 November 2014, 5:36 PM

Hi Brian - great questions.

I'd have thought that if you build everything according to Adapt's standards then you should be fine - but hopefully someone working on the authoring tool can confirm that here for you!

You will have to create JSON schemas for every custom component/extension you make in order to make it usable within the authoring tool, that much I do know.

What I'm not so clear on is how you'd get a custom component/extension installed in the tool. I seem to recall some mention of that in the sneak preview video but I might be wrong.

(If you haven't seen it already the sneak preview video is well worth a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qzOMCIlzt4)

I can't really answer your question about limitations I'm afraid. Hopefully someone else can help with that!

Picture of Brian Knowles
by Brian Knowles - Thursday, 13 November 2014, 6:10 PM

Thanks matt.

so if i understand you correctly, the risk should be minimal as long as we build according to Adapt standards, and create schemas for every custom component and/or extension.

I think I remember in the video he mentioned there was a way to upload custom extensions and components.

If anyone has an idea what the possible limitations are, please let me know. 

bk

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 13 November 2014, 7:16 PM

Actually - now I think about it, one big question does come to mind:

Is it going to be possible to load/import a course that was originally created 'by hand' into the authoring so that it can then be maintained using the authoring tool?

This is not a question I can answer I'm afraid.

Picture of Dan Gray
by Dan Gray - Friday, 14 November 2014, 11:10 AM

I believe the intention is to be able to import a course created in the adapt framework into the authoring tool. In the requirements and milestones detailed in this post (https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=96) this feature is included in the 0.1 release. 

For this feature I'm guessing the limitations will be to do with versions. i.e you will not be able to import a course created in the 1.2 framework into an authoring tool that only has 1.1 installed.

Picture of Martin Sandberg
by Martin Sandberg - Tuesday, 25 November 2014, 6:57 AM

A question on the authoring tool that I think will be answered with a yes....

Will it be possible to have multiple versions of the framework installed in the tool?

We have created course in both 1.0 and 1.1 and would like to import these to the Authoring tool when it is available and also to use the 1.2 framework for future courses.

Another question. If you want to upgrade a course created in an earlier version to the latest version, will that be possible? I'm guessing it will take a lot of manual work.