Picture of Wolfgang Helmut
Re: LMS issues with ADAPT?
by Wolfgang Helmut - Tuesday, 25 October 2016, 2:25 PM

The error message did not show up in my case – maybe because of some option settings.

To prevent the course from loading when the SCORM player is bypassed would definitely be a good enhancement.

After some more extensive internet research I tend to believe the following (Please let me know, if I am wrong.):

• There is currently no complete fix to make a fully responsive course - like the ones created by  ADAPT - work in an iframe on iOS. A lot of thought and experiment has been put into the issue by many very bright people without full success. There does not seem to be a solution anytime soon.
  • Using an iframe as part of the SCORM player is a solution used by LMSes, especially MOODLE, obviously as one of the best ways to play SCORM content securely. This does not seem to change any time soon.

So I am confronted with these two questions:

• Are there any LMSes that can play a fully responsive ADAPT SCORM package on iOS in such a way that it is not possible to bypass the SCORM player as described in my earlier posting? Do they prevent showing the URL of each course page?
  • Is the launch.html method (as described in this thread) the best solution to play fully responsive ADAPT SCORM packages on LMSes that use iframes?

I would be very grateful for any help.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 25 October 2016, 3:10 PM

Are there any LMSes that can play a fully responsive ADAPT SCORM package on iOS in such a way that it is not possible to bypass the SCORM player as described in my earlier posting? Do they prevent showing the URL of each course page?

SCORM Cloud will display the course on iOS without using an iframe but does not prevent display of the course URL. If you are not logged into SCORM Cloud, accessing the URL directly will show a 'content authorization failed' error. If you are logged in, though, it will display the course (which will then error - if the course is configured to display errors (the default setting)).

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 25 October 2016, 7:07 PM

Oops forgot to mention Totara LMS which also has the option to display a course in a way that doesn't use iframes or framesets.

It will still have the problem that you can get to the course if you have the course URL and are logged in. I will see what can be done about amending Adapt so that it comes to a complete halt in the event of a 'could not connect to LMS' error.

by Wolfgang Helmut - Friday, 28 October 2016, 9:16 AM

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­Thank you very much for your valuable information.  I will take a closer look at the LMSes you mentioned.

The enhancement to bring the course to a halt when the connection to the LMS SCORM is lost would also help if someone closes the SCORM package in the LMS while the separate course window stays open. (This definitely happens with the “lauch.html method” in Moodle, but may be true in other cases, as well).

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 28 October 2016, 10:07 AM

if someone closes the SCORM package in the LMS while the separate course window stays open

You might be able to get the course window to close if launch.html is closed... something like this:

var courseWindow = window.open('index_lms.html', 'courseWin', options);
$(window).on('beforeunload', function() {
    if(courseWindow) {
        courseWindow.close();
    }
});

Whether the course window would have enough time to commit data back to the LMS or not is questionable

by Wolfgang Helmut - Friday, 28 October 2016, 10:53 AM

Thanks a lot! That's perfect - I will give it a try!

Picture of Nathan Mcilree
by Nathan Mcilree - Tuesday, 25 October 2016, 5:23 PM

I managed to implement a non core modification that opens SCORM in a new window and not in an iframe. I am still testing but it seems promising. The thread below contains details.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=261756#p1365220