Picture of Dan Gray
Authoring tool deployment scenarios
by Dan Gray - Monday, 17 November 2014, 4:47 PM

Hi,

I am putting together some documentation about deploying the authoring tool onto a server and wanted to get some feedback about which deployment scenarios we should support. By this I mean which servers you will want to host the authoring tool on.  

There may be some limitations to what environment we can deploy to due to the authoring tool being a node.js application. So far we have been testing deployments on Heroku and various Linux distributions.

Any suggestions, preferences or requirements for authoring tool deployment scenarios would be most welcome.

me
Re: Authoring tool deployment scenarios
by Sven Laux - Monday, 17 November 2014, 5:01 PM

Thanks, Dan. Great that you are taking this forward! As you mention, I think the priorities are Linux / Heroku for now but keen to hear from the community on what the requirements might be.

As an aside, please could you also include "setting up on a local development machine" in your documentation?

Thanks,
Sven

Picture of Ryan Adams
by Ryan Adams - Thursday, 20 November 2014, 9:31 AM

Hi Sven,  I have a Vagrant box with Chef provisioning that works for developer setup. I was working on it last week. I'll try and get it pushed to the Github Repo this week.

Ryan

Picture of Mathew Gancarz
by Mathew Gancarz - Wednesday, 19 November 2014, 10:03 PM

CentOS instructions would be great, it sounds like you are already planning it out though

Picture of Vo Tuduc
by Vo Tuduc - Monday, 30 March 2015, 4:45 AM

Hi Dan Gray, 

How about the documentation regard to deploying? Did you complete the documentation? If yes, please share it to us.

I think the document will be very useful for community as it will help a lot of people who are not expert in technical. 

Thank you in advance.

Best and Regards, 

Duc

Picture of Dan Gray
by Dan Gray - Monday, 30 March 2015, 9:42 AM

Hi Duc

Some of my notes got overtaken by the Learningpool update to the authoring tool, plus Chuck Lorenz has now written some excellent new wiki pages which will be added to the authoring tool shortly.

Hopefully I will be able to add something useful to the wiki once it's updated.

Cheers
Dan

Picture of Vo Tuduc
by Vo Tuduc - Monday, 30 March 2015, 3:19 PM

Hi Dan, 

Thank you for your prompt reply. 

Following your answer, I did a research about "Chuck Lorenz" and I think that his documentation is very useful, but I found that his document did not give a step by step instruction about how to deploy Adapt authoring tool to a real Linux Server. I hope that you or anyone will write an article about this matter.  I think it will be really helpful for people like me. 

For eveyone like to know about Chuck Lorenz wiki page, here is his link.

Kind regards, 

Duc

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Monday, 30 March 2015, 8:08 PM

(The link provided above is to a demo-wiki repo where I've been prepping wiki pages. Most pages in that repo are works in progress, or current pages that are being reformatted, or their content is under review, or the pages are subject to deletion. I've got nothing to hide :-) but, really, you're better off sticking to the info you find in the Adapt wikis. )

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Monday, 30 March 2015, 3:21 PM

Hi Duc (and Dan),

The updated installation instructions are in place in the authoring tool wiki. Everyone who uses these instructions is encouraged to help us improve them. Help us keep track of your comments/suggestions by leaving them, please, in the authoring tool Issues: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/issues/606.

(FYI - a second, more succinct version is also available: Developer's Install.)

Chuck

Picture of Vo Tuduc
by Vo Tuduc - Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 7:52 AM

Hi Chuck Lorenz, 

Thank you so much for your update. It's very clear now for people like me :) 

Will be update/raise issue if having any problem with your documentation.

Kind Regards, 

Duc