Picture of steve keplinger
corrupt ppt jpegs (from hell)
by steve keplinger - Monday, 24 November 2014, 7:57 PM

Hi Community,

I have written a powerpoint and am using adapt to run my course.  As the ppt doesn't import easily into adapt, I have exported each slide as a png and have used the narrative component for every png as a slide show.

While this works well in grunt, it's not too happy in moodle?  Moodle will accept the narrative component slide show effect when the narrative_1.pngs are used but reject the slide pngs from ppt?

I originally noted that the ppt pngs were much larger, so I lowered the res in ppt to 40 dpi making each slide smaller than the accepted png as detailed below:-

Accepted Rejected
Dimensions 846x545 693x480
size 90.6kb 17.7kb
type png png
source adapt ppt

Any suggestions as to why moodle is rejected my exported jpg from ppt?

Much thanks,

Stephen

Picture of steve keplinger
Re: corrupt ppt jpegs (from hell)
by steve keplinger - Tuesday, 25 November 2014, 9:40 PM

Just to let anyone else who may encounter this issue, ppt exports jpg as *.JPG not lowercase *.jpg as in my script.  

Yes, three days of pulling out the few hairs that remain on my head has successfully figured out how to make the moodle work!

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: corrupt ppt jpegs (from hell)
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 26 November 2014, 9:48 AM

That's more likely to be to do with the operating system the server running Moodle is using.

All operating systems - except Windows - are case-sensitive and therefore see pic.jpg and pic.JPG as different files...

Of course you should not read anything at all into the fact that a Microsoft program exports a file with an upper case file extension when lower case is the convention, oh no.

You should always make all references to files and folder case-sensitive as you never know what kind of server it will end up on - particularly with SCORM-based e-learning which is expected to be very portable. We see so many 'broken' courses that just haven't been checked on a case-sensitive server.