Picture of Peter Hawkins
Authoring tool images
by Peter Hawkins - Tuesday, 9 December 2014, 3:18 AM

Hi - if I add a graphic or a hotgraphic into a block using the authoring tool and then preview it, that page will not load at all (including other blocks).

It can work if you enter a full absolute URL (http://...) to the image but not if you have a relative path or the filename (ie filename as per what's loaded into the asset manager). course/en/images/file doesn't work either.

When I publish out to scorm, I find that the course/en directory contains the five JSON files but nothing else (no images/ directory)

Can someone help me to get an image to work please?

Picture of Ray Handley
Re: Authoring tool images
by Ray Handley - Monday, 15 December 2014, 2:59 AM

Install was far from simple but got it to work.

Experiencing the same issue as Peter with images. I presume there will be a simple browse for file option or at least point to assets uploaded, when the full version comes out. However, if this should be easier than that and I've missed something during install, it would be good to know.

Cheers,

Ray

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Monday, 15 December 2014, 11:41 PM

I noticed during Learning Pool's webinar last Wednesday that this is exactly how it is to function. Their version of Adapt Author already has this functionality. Next to the text boxes for each image size there is a browse button and remove button. The browse button takes you into the Asset Manager to allow you to select the appropriate asset. I asked them about it and they said that it will be included in the next major "public" release in Jan 15'.

It does raise a question though? If this is an open source project, why aren't these developments made available more regularly? I am not complaining, just curious to how it works and would love to find out more?  The tool so far is great and has a lot of potential, just eager to see more now that I am getting into it :)

me
by Sven Laux - Tuesday, 16 December 2014, 8:48 AM

Hi Greg,

thanks for your note.

With regards to your question of making developments available more regularly, I just wanted to acknowledge that we have been discussing this case in point amongst the Steering Group over the last three weeks and agree that the work of the core team will be done in the open repositories on GitHub. So in summary, this appears to be an exceptional case and we are working towards a resolution.

As a general response to this thread, I wanted to add that it's great to see the community engaging with the authoring tool already. Please be aware that it's not ready for a release yet so there will be parts of the system, which don't work as expected or don't work at all.

The focus of the majority of the core team is currently on the next release of the Adapt framework, as this is required to be completed before we continue on with our work on v0.1 of the Authoring Tool.

I hope this helps. Please bear with us on the tool.

Many thanks,
Sven

Picture of Ray Handley
by Ray Handley - Wednesday, 17 December 2014, 12:19 AM

Hi Sven,

I was just checking that my installation was done correctly and making sure I had not missed anything. I can appreciate that the focus for your team right now is the Framework (since the Authoring Tool is not scheduled for release for another year). I have, however, been tasked with getting a bit of a head start on the potential capabilities of the Authoring Tool, so may have some questions relating to this from time to time.

One question is how we can ensure we have the most updated data? Does this require a git clone periodically or is there a quick and easy way to update?

Appreciate the work that is going into this and I know that you and your team are making every effort to ensure any updates or changes are shared as part of the open source nature of Adapt.

Cheers,

Ray

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Wednesday, 17 December 2014, 12:54 AM

Hi Sven,

Thanks for responding.  Very much looking forward to the next major release of the authoring tool.

Regards

Greg

Picture of John Niezen
by John Niezen - Thursday, 3 September 2015, 7:08 AM

Hi Sven,

I am relative new to the tool, but I do not see why if I want to use a graphic, I need to put in the 3 different sizes.
 Even more, if I do not insert 1 of them, the preview will not work.

Would it not be better to provide a way to have an automatic scaling in the background?

What I mean is you as the creator to put in his graphic for the "biggest" display, and let the system worry about the medium and small sizes.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 3 September 2015, 1:29 PM

if I do not insert 1 of them, the preview will not work.

I have a feeling I've seen this mentioned as an issue somewhere but I cannot find any reference to it now

Would it not be better to provide a way to have an automatic scaling in the background?

If you literally mean scaling then this would mean having very large image filesizes for images that are actually only being displayed at a very small size, which would be terrible for performance. even if we were to resize the image down automatically in the authoring tool, this assumes you'd want to use a smaller version of the same image but you might actually want to crop it differently or even have a completely different image

Picture of John Niezen
by John Niezen - Thursday, 3 September 2015, 2:13 PM

Hi Matt,

What I was thinking about is, that there was probably some logical thinking in the design for these 3 image sizes. So if one would asume or was required to upload the "best" image in the component, then I think a process could be created that will make these smaller images. And I am not talking about cropping, I have seen several PHP classes flying by in the phpclasses.org where similar trics are described. DId not check stackoverflow yet for java, github or others, but would not be surprised to see them as well.

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Thursday, 3 September 2015, 2:46 PM

Hi John,

In version 2.0 of the framework there are actually only two images.  Also, the authoring tool does have an 'Autofill' option on the way very soon, which can set a selected image to be used in all graphic sources.

During development we had discussed potentially cropping or allowing the user to select different parts of a larger image for different viewports, but a decision was taken that allowing different mages provides more flexibility for mobile/tablets.  

Regards,

Brian