Picture of Hanzs Wolfgang
adapt-contrib-media does not use 'protocol relative' links for vimeo videos
by Hanzs Wolfgang - Tuesday, 9 December 2014, 1:08 PM

Hi,

We are currently building a course with the adapt framework, and have come a across a problem with how adapt-contrib-media fetches content from vimeo. From looking at the minified version of the mediaelements javascript it is taking the vimeo id from the end of the url that we supply and then appending it on the end of a premade url.

For example: if we supply //player.vimeo.com/video/123, mediaelements.js will turn this into http://player.vimeo.com/video/123.

This means that if you are hosting the course on HTTPS, you will an error regarding fetching insecure content from a secure site.

Looking at the latest version of mediaelements.js, this appears to have been fixed. Do you have any plans to use the latest version of mediaelements.js as we are having to patch the minified version of the file at the moment.

Thanks

Hanzs

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: adapt-contrib-media does not use 'protocol relative' links for vimeo videos
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 9 December 2014, 7:42 PM

We hadn't particularly, however something like this makes it worth serious consideration.

I have to say I did try doing this myself at one point to resolve a different issue, it didn't go particularly well! Certainly it wasn't a case of just being able to 'drop in' the updated version.

I'll log an issue and we'll give it a go, but if it's a real nightmare to do it might not make the next release.

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Friday, 12 December 2014, 11:28 AM

Hi Hanzs,

Thanks for flagging this.

I'm in the process of updating the media component, so will be pushing back to the open source repo when that's in a decent state. This is mostly working, with the exception of some native android player issues, and an IE8 bug.

In addition to updating the version of MediaElement.js we use, I'm also looking at allowing the player settings to be configured in the JSON, so we could set the following (see http://mediaelementjs.com/ for more info):

• defaultVideoWidth: used if <video width> not specified
  • defaultVideoHeight: used if <video height> not specified
  • videoWidth: overrides <video width>
  • videoHeight: overrides <video height>
  • audioWidth: width of audio player
  • audioHeight: height of audio player
  • startVolume: initial volume when the player starts
  • loop: useful for audio player loops
  • enableAutoSize: allow flash/silverlight content to resize to content
  • features: order of the player controls
  • alwaysShowControls: hide controls if mouse not on player
  • iPadUseNativeControls: force native controls
  • iPhoneUseNativeControls: force native controls
  • AndroidUseNativeControls: force native controls
  • alwaysShowHours: force hour count
  • showTimecodeFrameCount: force frame count
  • framesPerSecond: set the frame rate
  • enableKeyboard: enable keyboard support
  • pauseOtherPlayers: pause other player instances on play
  • keyActions: array of keyboard commands

Provided it works with the authoring tool, I'm hoping to be able to do this in such a way that any new settings introduced in later versions on MediaElement.js will be supported without the need to update the component (any code which uses player settings which are later depreciated may need to be updated). 

More details to follow, see here for relevant GitHub discussion: 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 16 October 2015, 5:03 PM

Hi Hanzs

It wasn't easy updating to a newer version of mediaelement.js but we finally managed it!

It should be formally release very soon, in the meantime you can find it here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-media/tree/develop