Picture of Dennis Heaney
Authoring Tool Mega Update
by Dennis Heaney - Friday, 30 January 2015, 11:18 PM

Hi all,

We have launched a (rather large) Pull Request into the Adapt authoring tool github repository. Once merged, this will add lots of great new functionality to the tool, including a more robust installer, the ability to link assets to components from within the editor interface, numerous user interface and stability improvements, and a more extensible frontend architecture.

The following issues are also fixed in this Pull Request:

• ABU-218 - copy and paste moved to server
  • ABU-237 - tidy up editor screens
  • ABU-239 - reset forgotten password
  • ABU-240 - first and last login for users
  • ABU-337 - prefer environment configuration
  • ABU-215 - tags don't autocomplete
  • ABU-179 - remove hardcoded version from bower plugins
  • ABU-231 - course visibility
  • ABU-234 - insecure passport session data

This Pull Request requires approval from the community of contributors before merging into the current develop branch, and hopefully this will happen over the next few days, and I'll post an update on this thread.

This PR also brings the tool to a state where it is fit to open up to a larger community of contributors, which is great, because it's going to take a lot of work delivering some of the exciting functionality that we've got planned. Some of the high priority items are:

• Custom hero images for projects on the dashboard
  • Extensible UI for components (e.g. drag and drop interface for hotgraphic)
  • Improved publish/preview process (to make it lightning quick)
  • Loading bar for publish/preview status
  • Amazon S3 storage compatibility (for assets)
  • Ability to add comments to previews 
  • Copy/Paste between two different courses
  • Ability to export a project's source files from the tool
  • Favourites/Archive labels on the dashboard
  • Better contextual help system
  • Built in image editor

There is presently an issue in the spoor extension that causes an error when previewing courses without that extension enabled. This should be resolved before this PR is approved and merged, but you can track progress on this issue here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-spoor/issues/53

Picture of Greg Pell
Re: Authoring Tool Mega Update
by Greg Pell - Sunday, 1 February 2015, 10:14 PM

Great stuff, look forward to it being merged into the Develop branch.

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Sunday, 8 February 2015, 11:01 PM

Any update on when the merge will be complete? I tried out the LearningPool branch just to see how it has progressed and can't get previewing to work.. :-/  Very keen to get the latest version up and running :)

Picture of Dennis Heaney
by Dennis Heaney - Monday, 9 March 2015, 9:14 AM

Hi all,

With all the excitement, I've neglected to update this thread as promised - apologies for that!

From posts to the forum, I see that many of you are already aware that the PR referenced above has be merged into the develop branch, and the tool should now be stable enough to allow beta testers to start creating courses and providing feedback.

For those that have bravely tried installing and using the tool prior to this update, I highly recommend re-installing the tool based on the new develop branch, and using the "node install" command, as the current develop branch differs in many ways from earlier versions of the tool.

Those of you who'd like to try the tool, but are reluctant to go through the install process, please see this post from Sven inviting beta testers to try out the tool and to feed back on the experience.

Thanks!

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Monday, 16 March 2015, 12:38 AM

Hi Dennis,

If I am running an older branch, is there any "easy" way to update my copy with a particular branch?

Cheers

Greg