LOCATION: Plymouth, UK
SALARY: £35,000 - £40,000
HOURS: 9:00am – 5:30pm, Monday to Friday
START DATE: ASAP
Does this sound like you?
How would you like to develop multi-device games and responsive web solutions using some of the latest and most exciting web technologies?
What about being able to continuously innovate and develop the capabilities of the world’s first open-source, responsive elearning framework – Adapt?
How does delivering cutting-edge solutions to global brands, helping to improve performance and increase knowledge of thousands of learners worldwide sound to you?
We’re looking for an experienced and driven developer with great front-end abilities and the right attitude to lead in the development of multi-device product development here at Sponge UK.
If you have a proven track record in delivering multi-device, responsive driven solutions this could be the perfect opportunity for you to develop with an award-winning and industry-leading company.
About Sponge UK
Sponge UK is a leader in the design and development of custom elearning, delivering solutions to customers across the globe.
We are based at the Plymouth Science Park on the outskirts of Plymouth city centre, where we design and develop our elearning programmes. We also have an office in London. Our clients include Tesco, Toyota Motor Europe, Adidas, Lexus, TUI, Sports Direct, the NHS, the United Nations, GlaxoSmithKline, Novo Nordisk, Boehringher Ingelheim, John Lewis, Diageo and HM Treasury.
Our current team of 50 plus employees is made up of Account Executives, Instructional Designers, Graphic Designers, Developers and Administrators who all contribute to making Sponge UK one of the most positive and friendly working environments in the South West.
We were recently named “Elearning Development Company of the Year” at the Elearning awards.
As the Senior Software Developer, you will be responsible for developing and leading in the innovation of Sponge UK’s multi-device elearning product offering.
You will work closely with graphic designers, instructional designers, learning solutions architects and of course the development team to deliver some of the most exciting and innovative products to the elearning market.
This role requires a unique individual with the passion for pushing the boundaries, working to the tight client briefs and a strong attention to detail, with a willingness to collaborate within a great team environment.
- Lead in the development and innovation of bespoke responsive HTML5,multi-device products
- Develop and maintain bespoke features, components, plugin’s and themes using the Adapt Framework
- Collaborate on the Adapt open source project
- Develop multi-device game based products
- Contribute to technical discussions for internal and client facing meetings
- Provide innovative solutions and accurate time estimations to the sales and project management team
- Develop and grow other members of the team
- Ensure all aspects are developed to the company standard, within the allocated timeframes
- Provide technical support, resolving bugs and issues
Skills and qualities:
The ideal candidate should have the following skills and qualities:
- A minimum of 3 years industry experience
- Proven track record for delivering robust and innovative solutions
- Educated, preferably to degree level or an equivalent qualification in this field or have extensive commercial experience
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work to deadlines
- A passion for creating reliable, maintainable and efficient code
- Be passionate about learning new skills and helping others to develop
We will be assessing candidates against the following checklist to help us identify the most suitable individual. The most important criteria however, is your ability to convince us you are the right person for the job.
- jQuery or similar DOM manipulation framework
- HTML/ HTML5 / Web standards
- LESS / SASS / CSS / CSS3 / And other animation libraries
- Responsive web development for multi-touch devices
- Cross-browser compatibility development
- Understanding in the importance of Accessibility
- Understanding of Frontend Application Architecture (MVVM/MVC)
Highly desirable skills:
- Knowledge of using Grunt
- Backbone.js, Underscore.js & Handlebars
- Proficient in using Git/Mercurial
- Test driven development
- Knowledge of iOS and Android development
- Competency in using the Adobe Creative Suite
How to apply
If you think you would like to join the Sponge UK team we’d love to hear from you!
Please send us your CV and a portfolio of work digitally which should demonstrate how your skills align with this job role. All applications must have a cover letter that contains a brief explanation as to why you think you would be the perfect candidate for the role.
Note: Shortlisted candidates might be required to carry out a development test as part of the application process.