Picture of Nick Webb
Problem tracking course completion
by Nick Webb - Friday, 13 March 2015, 2:38 PM

Hi all,

First off, well done to everyone involved with the project. The framework seems very good and the editor seems good too.

OK, I've created a quick first course with two pages. The first contains a number of interactions. The second contains an assessment with two MCQs. Trickle is enabled on the page, as is Spoor.

When I complete the assessment I'm getting a Javascript error that seems to be preventing assessment and course completion from being set:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'toLowerCase' of null
t.setStatus
Backbone.Model.extend.checkTrackingCriteriaMet

Is anyone else getting this? Is this a bug or something I've done wrong setting up my assessment?

Many thanks,

Nick

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Problem tracking course completion
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 13 March 2015, 4:12 PM

Hi Nick

My best guess is that you haven't set the _onTrackingCriteriaMet property in the spoor extension's 'Reporting' settings. I think this is called 'Tracking success status' when viewed in the authoring tool.

More info on what the settings mean here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-spoor#_ontrackingcriteriamet

It's also clearly the case that the spoor extension should be set up to handle this exact issue in a more graceful manner ;-)

Picture of Nick Webb
by Nick Webb - Tuesday, 17 March 2015, 4:51 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the advice. I've been into the Spoor settings in the authoring tool and the settings all seem OK as far as I can see (I've attached a screenshot). However, when I look at the exported config.json most of the settings seem to be set to null.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 17 March 2015, 5:49 PM

Well that would seem to be an issue with the authoring tool then - I'll see if someone who knows more about that can have a look for you

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Wednesday, 18 March 2015, 1:56 PM

Hi Nick,

If you save the configuration settings and re-publish your course do you see the values come through?

Unfortunately the assessment plugin as it stands has known issues in the builder.  The problem is that it's an article assessment (i.e. can only be applied to one article per course) and doesn't fit in with the architecture of an extension which we can support as present. 

There have been recent discussions on the core team on how best to re-write this.  If you absolutely must use assessment, I would disable it in the builder and add it by hand, i.e. by publishing the course and working with it the old-fashioned way in an adapt_framework folder.

I should clarify that the spoor extension is enough to track SCORM completion.  If you don't require scoring, etc. then just leave the assessment.

Regards,

Brian