Picture of Paul MacIntyre
Resource Panel
by Paul MacIntyre - Wednesday, 15 April 2015, 11:30 AM

Hi everyone

Has anyone ever reduced the number of clicks to get into the Resources on the Resource Panel? Instead of opening the drawer, then clicking on the link to be taken to the resources, can you simply click on the Resources Panel and have the drawer appear with all of the resources available listed?

I've had a look through the js for the resources extension, but I'm having difficulty in finding what would need to be changed to allow this.

Thanks

Paul

Picture of Nikita S
Re: Resource Panel
by Nikita S - Thursday, 25 June 2015, 5:27 PM

I have tried several things to eliminate the extra click. Including removing the "Resource" container from the course.json file, but nothing seems to work. I also tried adding another item to the panel where the resource link shows up, and that did nothing. As far as I can see, having the ability to have more than one item in that panel would be the only reason for it. Since, you cannot add other items, that extra click is unnecessary.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Thursday, 25 June 2015, 7:33 PM

Hi Nikita,

You're right about the concept, but not about the technique.

"Resources" (adapt-contrib-resources) is an extension that is viewed in the drawer. The drawer has room for other extensions. Getting something to show up in the drawer alongside Resources is not as simple as adding more objects to course,json. That's the technique to use when you are adding more items to Resources. And that is the technique because that's how Resources has been coded. The drawer has not been coded so that it simply consumes text from course.json. The drawer is looking for some plug-in, module, extension, etc., to decide what to display and how to display it. Perhaps below Resources you want an RSS feed. And below that an image gallery. Catch the vision? 

If you'd like to have an additional section that looks and operates just like Resources but has different text labels, you can copy adapt-contrib-resources, modify the name wherever it appears, and install it alongside Resources.

That's what I did with adapt-aboutUs. Except that I also made some minor modifications for my purposes. I haven't done everything I want with this extension, but it works. You can install aboutUs to see how it works (be sure to read the README before installation). Comparing it with adapt-contrib-resources might help you locate the code that needs to change. I hope this will encourage you to jump in and play with the code. 

Cheers!
Chuck

Picture of Nikita S
by Nikita S - Thursday, 25 June 2015, 8:30 PM

That makes perfect sense! Thanks you.

But as I mentioned and the Matt's reply below states this is still and awkward interaction if there is only a single item in the drawer.

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Thursday, 25 June 2015, 9:40 PM

Yes, I agree. Glad Matt jumped in as I seem to have missed your main point.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 25 June 2015, 7:41 PM

Sorry for not replying earlier. This has actually come up before, I raised it in fact.

I think once we've got v2 released we should resurrect this because I don't think we really resolved it satisfactorily.

I've created this feature request accordingly.