Picture of Greg Pell
FFMpeg Linux Issues?
by Greg Pell - Monday, 20 April 2015, 7:22 AM

Hi All,

This issues was buried in another (not so related post) so I thought I would start a new one. So I have setup Adapt Author on an Amazon Linux instance which now (after a lot of work) appears to be working in most cases. The main issue I have is still around ffmpeg. So if I have "useffmpeg" in my config.json set to true then I get the following error when trying to publish assets in the authoring tool:

server-1 (err): TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of null
server-1 (err): at /home/ec2-user/adapt_authoring/plugins/filestorage/localfs/index.js:393:39
server-1 (err): at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/home/ec2-user/adapt_authoring/node_modules/node-ffprobe/lib/ffprobe.js:110:4)
server-1 (err): at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:98:17)
server-1 (err): at maybeClose (child_process.js:766:16)
server-1 (err): at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.js:833:5)

Now I have installed ffmpeg (via a package, manually) and can confirm it is installed by running ffmpeg

ffmpeg version N-63893-gc69defd Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the FFmpeg developers
built on Jul 16 2014 05:38:01 with gcc 4.6 (Debian 4.6.3-1)
configuration: --prefix=/root/ffmpeg-static/64bit --extra-cflags='-I/root/ffmpeg-static/64bit/include -static' --extra-ldflags='-L/root/ffmpeg-static/64bit/lib -static' --extra-libs='-lxml2 -lexpat -lfreetype' --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-ffserver --disable-doc --enable-bzlib --enable-zlib --enable-postproc --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-libx264 --enable-gpl --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libmp3lame --enable-gray --enable-libass --enable-libfreetype --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libspeex --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-version3 --enable-libvpx
libavutil 52. 89.100 / 52. 89.100
libavcodec 55. 66.101 / 55. 66.101
libavformat 55. 43.100 / 55. 43.100
libavdevice 55. 13.101 / 55. 13.101
libavfilter 4. 8.100 / 4. 8.100
libswscale 2. 6.100 / 2. 6.100
libswresample 0. 19.100 / 0. 19.100
libpostproc 52. 3.100 / 52. 3.100

ffmpeg can also be executed from any folder as well.  I have done a lot of research around ffmpeg and ffprobe.js but cannot get a solution. I know it is not critical for usage of the authoring tool, however I would really like to resolve it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Greg

Picture of Greg Pell
Re: FFMpeg Linux Issues?
by Greg Pell - Friday, 24 April 2015, 2:04 AM

ok, well I kinda gave up with this and decided to setup a new linux server in AWS (Ubuntu) as opposed to the Amazon Linux image I originally used. I still had trouble with getting ffmpeg installed though, as the repository mentioned in these instructions - https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/installing-ffmpeg#ubu are out of date as it appears that the jon-severinsson repo is no longer available.  Anyway, this is what I did to get it to work:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ppa:mc3man/trusty-media
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
sudo apt-get install frei0r-plugins

Asset manager now working with ffmpeg enabled! :)

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
Re: FFMpeg Linux Issues?
by Chuck Lorenz - Friday, 24 April 2015, 4:50 AM

Thanks for the heads-up, Greg. I changed the PPA. I also added some links that I think may be helpful. 

-------

A call to anyone reading this: I'm not working on Linux right now, so I'm a bit out of touch with what works or doesn't work on the various distros. Help us improve the wiki page that Greg mentioned: Installing FFmpeg. Post your comments here. Or add your section directly to the page. (I'll come around and tidy up if it's needed.)