Picture of Bill Randall
Media player and mp4/IE9
by Bill Randall - Thursday, 30 April 2015, 10:25 AM

Hi,

Can anyone suggest some checks I can perform for the following issue:

We have a media component containing an .mp4 video, which plays fine for us in all supported browsers including IE9 (using grunt server-scorm and also our Totara LMS).  However, on my client's LMS it will play in IE11 but not IE9.  Their developer tools don't show any issues in console or network.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Bill

Picture of Greg Pell
Re: Media player and mp4/IE9
by Greg Pell - Thursday, 30 April 2015, 10:50 PM

Could it be a MIME Type issue with the video and how it is stored on the client's LMS server? I have come across similar such issues in the past when content is uploaded through an LMS that the server is not correctly identifying or setting the MIME Type for the video file and older browsers wont play it.

Picture of Bill Randall
by Bill Randall - Friday, 1 May 2015, 2:41 PM

Thanks Greg - it looks like their server is interpreting the .mp4 video as type: audio/mpeg.

So it sounds like you're right and they don't have the video/mp4 MIME setting.  Do you know if there's a way around this without access to the server?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 6 May 2015, 3:02 PM

Hi Bill

If the web server the LMS is running on is Apache (most web servers are) then you can include an .htaccess file in the build that defines the mime-type properly

I've attached one for you - zipped up because some operating systems can be weird about handling files whose names start with a period.

Picture of Bill Randall
by Bill Randall - Thursday, 7 May 2015, 8:41 AM

Hi Matt,

That's great, thanks very much for this!

Bill

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Wednesday, 6 May 2015, 11:41 PM

Without access to the server to adjust MIME Type settings the web server software (i.e. Apache) you are stuck.  Other modern cloud storage solutions like AWS S3 and Microsoft Azure require it to be set on the files themselves.