Picture of Greg Pell
Issues with Trickle?
by Greg Pell - Thursday, 7 May 2015, 9:06 AM

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the current state of the trickle component bugs are? I am fairly sure that from previous conversations I have seen and from some comments of bugs listed against it in GitHub that there were known issues with Trickle.

The main issue I am facing is that when I turn it ON for a particular article on a page it applies it to all blocks within that page across how ever many articles you might have.  

Has anyone got a version of Trickle with that issue fixed? or knows a way around it? Also I noticed in the version I have some times when you click the continue banner the page moves back up and then you have to click continue again for it to move to the next section.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am very keen to get trickle working for some of the courses I am building.

Cheers

Greg

Picture of Helen Bailey
Re: Issues with Trickle?
by Helen Bailey - Thursday, 7 May 2015, 9:21 AM

I want it too but get the same problem  :( Have seen some develop branches updated on github but no definite updates. 

And i've still only got Reveal and Responsive iframe working as additional plugins.... have you had any more joy?

Helen

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Thursday, 7 May 2015, 11:59 PM

If I get time over the weekend I might try the latest development branch, however the framework might need a newer dev branch as well...?! Will see...

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Friday, 8 May 2015, 10:02 AM

Hi guys,

We're currently in the process of completely rewriting trickle ready for release with v2.0 of the framework/core bundle. Unfortunately this probably won't be ready for a few weeks. 

The following repo represents an early version of this rewrite: https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-strickle
Feel free to use this, although obviously it comes with the caveat that it's still in development.

Have you tried turning on trickle for individual blocks rather than the entire article? (I'm not sure this solves your problem).

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Monday, 11 May 2015, 9:38 AM

Sadly can't add Strickle to the authoring tool :(

Is there any other way to have a quiz where you see one question at a time rather than all in a linear fashion down the page? I know in the old demo you could answer a question then move sideways....

Cheers

Helen

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Friday, 5 June 2015, 12:41 AM

Hi Tom, I tried to write a properties.schema file so that I could use Strickle with the Authoring tool, but did not have much luck. I am still not 100% on how to build those.

Don't suppose this might be something you would be able to have a look at for me?

I am desperate to get Strickle or Trickle working with this course I am building. It is the last stumbling block for me.

Cheers

Picture of Chris Zoellick
by Chris Zoellick - Tuesday, 19 May 2015, 3:18 PM

We are working on a modification to the original trickle that allows the trickle to only apply to specific blocks. i.e. show all blocks until we see a trickle enabled at the block. There are some usability issues with this approach that we're sorting through - namely that completion of the preceding blocks is implied once the trickle is triggered.

We've added logic that puts blocks into groups and check all blocks in the current group for completion. Once all blocks are complete, the trickle button is shown and when clicked, the next 'group' of blocks is shown. 

The functionality is close to what we want - the ability to 'chunk' the content, however I think we're going to have to work on adjusting the page progress display to let the user know that there are additional interactions they have to complete before they can continue through the page.

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Thursday, 21 May 2015, 12:42 AM

Sounds good Chris. Happy to test an early version of this if you want some help.

Cheers

Greg

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Tuesday, 21 July 2015, 3:47 AM

Hi Chris and other fellow devs,

I have tried to use the latest dev branch of Trickle with my project and it doesn't seem to work. I am assuming that it is not compatible with 1.1.3 of the Adapt Framework? I am also doing this in 0.1.1 of the authoring tool.

My browser console is capturing the following error when I try to run it:

adapt/js/adapt.min.js:130 Uncaught TypeError: e.findById is not a function

Cheers

Greg

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Tuesday, 21 July 2015, 8:39 AM

Hi Greg,

The code in the develop branch right now is ready for version 2.0 of the framework.  It's unlikely to work with 1.1.3.

Regards,

Brian

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 12:40 AM

Thanks Brian, I thought as much. I don't suppose there is a version I can try which addresses the issues I have and works with 1.1.3 ?

Cheers

Greg