Picture of Fabian Fernandez
Adding a new item to the menu not working on Creating first course wiki tutorial
by Fabian Fernandez - Wednesday, 13 May 2015, 7:58 PM

I'm following the "Creating your first course" wiki tutorial.
On the contentObjects.json section, after copying and pasting the new item, changed the _id, saved, built and refreshed... it doesn't work.
When opening the web page it shows the Loading... animation and stays that way.
If I hit F12, I can see an Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '_children' of undefined at adapt.min.js:121.

Attached goes a screenshot and the contentObjects.json.

Any idea?

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
Re: Adding a new item to the menu not working on Creating first course wiki tutorial
by Chuck Lorenz - Thursday, 14 May 2015, 2:00 AM

Hi Fabian,

Regarding "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '_children' of undefined":

I encountered the same error while following the Creating your first course tutorial. Ignore these instructions in the contentObjects.json section: "Now you will need to re-build your code and refresh the browser, should now see at the bottom of the menu a new item (it won't do anything just yet)."

I found that I continued to get the error and the page could not load until I had the page, article, and block json in place. Once these three were in place, the page could load.

I'll see what I can do to get this wiki page updated soon. The documentation is getting better, but you may yet experience another bump. Post again if necessary. I think you'll find it's worth it!

Chuck

Picture of Brian Quinn
Re: Adding a new item to the menu not working on Creating first course wiki tutorial
by Brian Quinn - Thursday, 14 May 2015, 2:15 PM

Fabian/Chuck,

I noticed a similar issue last week.  I'm just waiting on the code fix to be approved and merged.

https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/issues/592

Regards,

Brian

Picture of Fabian Fernandez
by Fabian Fernandez - Thursday, 14 May 2015, 6:34 PM

Thanks Chuck, you were right.