Picture of Helen Bailey
and sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide....
by Helen Bailey - Thursday, 14 May 2015, 3:21 PM

Has anyone managed to get any of the sliding article/block plugins working with the Authoring Tool?

I've tried all i can find from the git repositories and none seem to work for me :/

I have quite a few questions to ask and I would prefer not to have them all going down the page one after the other...

Thanks!

Picture of Tom Taylor
Re: and sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide....
by Tom Taylor - Monday, 18 May 2015, 11:05 AM

Hi Helen,

Which plugins have you tried, and are you using the authoring tool to create projects, or developing manually?

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Monday, 18 May 2015, 11:19 AM
Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Monday, 18 May 2015, 5:50 PM

Hi Helen,

I'm currently working on the cgkineo/ sliders and have only built&used them myself in the last couple of weeks. As yet none of them are ready for the authoring tool and will not be made available for use in version 1 of the framework.

Some of the cgkineo ones will be made available after the release of version 2, whereby the working and most comprehensive ones will be made officially, open source (although I doubt directly maintained by Adapt Learning?).

The guys from the learningpool team made changes to their block slider a while ago, so I would say that the learning pool/ slider will also almost certainly not work with the current authoring tool (but I'll leave it to the guys to give you the final say-so).

Sorry for any confusion, I am glad you are keen to start using some of our active projects. Steps in the right direction! Good!

Ollie.

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Tuesday, 19 May 2015, 8:50 AM

Thanks for the great reply Ollie - I suspected as much as I've only found a few things outside of the standard package that do work with the AT - and even then I guess possibly more by accident than design, but I like to dream big and when I see the potential in these plugins I have a tendency to get wide-eyed and want to jump right in :)

I think I might just have to jump on in and start using the framework itself so I can more fully engage with the Adapt world and learn more :)

And as I've said before - major kudos to everyone who is contributing to this project - great work!

Helen

Picture of Sam Tsiu
by Sam Tsiu - Tuesday, 19 May 2015, 10:20 AM

Hello Tom

I'm very interested in some of the plugins you developed such as the adapt-cover-menu and I want to test them with the adapt framework.

However, I could't find them in the adapt repo with adapt search command.

How can I manually install it? by git clone them in the component directory and manually edit the components.json file?

Thanks

Sam

Edit: meant to address this to Tom. Sorry!

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Tuesday, 19 May 2015, 1:28 PM

Yes, manually install by either git cloning into the menu directory, or git > download zip > extract into the menu directory. You'll need to delete boxmenu otherwise both menus will try to render at the same time. I imagine it will only work with version 2 of the framework outside of the Authoring Tool.

As a side note and for a bit of community history:

*inhale*

Most of the extensions in the cgkineo repository are currently unavailable to the wider world. Kineo diverged somewhat from Adapt Learning when the framework had some major issues which blocked their development and when the Authoring Tool wasn't ready to code against.

Kineo have now gone into reverse as the community has become heavily invested in producing a solid Authoring Tool and are far more receptive to ongoing change. Kineo is now investing a lot of time into the Authoring Tool and a lot into pushing the framework forwards. Many of Kineo's plugins which do not currently work with the Authoring Tool or are not searchable on the public bower library have much time and effort invested in them and so will be brought inline with both aspects of Adapt, leading up to and beyond the coming release of the Authoring Tool and framework.

*and relax*

That being said, feel free to hack, chop change and play with the cover-menu, but be aware that it's not formally ready for use.

Picture of Sam Tsiu
by Sam Tsiu - Tuesday, 19 May 2015, 2:09 PM

Hello Oliver

Thank you very much for the advice. I'll give it a go.

and it is fascinating to learn the community history and have a better understanding of the community and the project.

Thank you.