Picture of Simon Ray
Issues with previewing and publishing using v0.1.0
by Simon Ray - Monday, 18 May 2015, 5:10 AM

Hi all

I have successfully managed to install the authoring tool (v0.1.0) onto my PC and have begun to play around with it.  I'm loving the simplicity of it so far...however, when I go to either preview or publish out to see what I have created, I get the following message:

A bit of background may assist.

1. Git bash is running
  2. Mongod is running
  3. Node is running (I believe...but not sure because it's not listed under services in Task Manager, but is under processes)
  4. I am using a PC - Win 7 64bit
  5. I work for an Australian Gov agency (Aust Sports Anti-Doping Authority) that has its network at the Protected level (Law enforcement levels), which for me simply means that I cannot access USB ports or the C: drive.
  6. Our internet is provided through a different Aust Gov Agency (Dept of Health) which often has blocks in place for random sites (ie using storyline, I cannot see the section on the home page which has the help videos.)

I tend to use Chrome to access the builder (localhost:5000).

I guess I need to know if the question over the running of Node is the issue here, as I suspect it is, and if so, how do I get it running?

Simon

Picture of Helen Bailey
Re: Issues with previewing and publishing using v0.1.0
by Helen Bailey - Monday, 18 May 2015, 9:06 AM

Hi Simon,

You need to make sure you have node version 0.10.33 - go to a command prompt and type node --version

I get this a lot. It is most usually when something in your theme or your pages is broken.

The best way to diagnose is to look at your command prompt window just after you click preview and get that message. You should get a hint there so post a screenshot of that if you can.

Think back to changes you have made. Have you modified any less files? Added something to a page just before it stopped working?

Usually I go back to a less file I have changed and see a mistake I made, or I delete a component and preview fine, so re-add the component.

ANyway a screenshot of the command prompt is the first step...

Helen

Picture of Simon Ray
by Simon Ray - Monday, 18 May 2015, 10:55 PM

Hi Helen

The Node version I have is 0.10.33

Below is the cmd image

I tried previewing first, then publishing.

As for changing anything, I have basically tried constructing a very basic assessment course from scratch, using only some narratives and MCQ's with a few images.  Very vanilla, just to see how it works.  

I'm not sure what a less file is...?

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Simon

Picture of Simon Ray
by Simon Ray - Tuesday, 19 May 2015, 7:29 AM

Hi all

After getting my IT Admin to log me in as an Admin, I re-ram the Grunt install, and all seems to be fine.  I guess I'll see if I have to do that every time I log in to the Adapt Builder.

Now looking forward to playing with it properly and converting all my Storyline courses over to Adapt.

Happy days!

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Tuesday, 19 May 2015, 8:45 AM

Oh brilliant I'm glad you got sorted. I think you'll love the Adapt way and it is worth the effort.

If you need any more help do post!

Best wishes,

Helen