Picture of Steven Swanepoel
Adapt Installation error
by Steven Swanepoel - Friday, 22 May 2015, 2:53 AM

Hello,

I've done some searching on the forums and I'm not finding a solution for my installation error. This is the first time I'm doing anything like this so I'm just about completely lost.

So this is what I've done, in order:

1) Install Node.js

2) Install Github for Windows (reboot PC)

3) Open Git Shell & run "npm install adapt-cli -g" (got error)

4) run "npm install grunt-cli -g" (installed fine)

5) Added $HOME directory as suggested on a thread

6) Open Git Shell & run "npm install adapt-cli -g" (got error)

7) Tried some other stuff that didn't help either (installed Git as well)

I've attached the debug log for you guys to have a look at.

Cheers,

Steven

Picture of Simon Ray
Re: Adapt Installation error
by Simon Ray - Friday, 22 May 2015, 4:27 AM

Hi Steven

Firstly, nice to see another Aussie in the community! I think there are only a few of us (not working for Kineo that is:) )

I had heaps of issues when I installed, but most of mine are from Government IT restrictions.

Did you install the correct version of Node?  It should be v0.10.33, which I got here: http://blog.nodejs.org/2014/10/23/node-v0-10-33-stable/

The other thing to do is elevate your permissions when opening the cmd prompts...run them as administrator where possible.

If you're behind corporate or government firewalls or IT policies, these may be blocking the commands.

Hope this helps.

Simon

by Steven Swanepoel - Friday, 22 May 2015, 5:57 AM

G'day Simon, thanks for the feedback.

I had installed Node v0.12.3 (the latest version?), so I uninstalled it and installed v0.10.33 as suggested. Opened cmd as Administrator, Grunt install fine but still a no go with the Adapt install. However is was a shorter error message: (NB: from cmd)

---------------------

npm WARN `git config --get remote.origin.url` returned wrong result (git://githu
b.com/SpongeUK/download.git) undefined
npm WARN `git config --get remote.origin.url` returned wrong result (git://githu
b.com/SpongeUK/download.git) undefined
npm ERR! git clone git://github.com/SpongeUK/download.git undefined
npm ERR! git clone git://github.com/SpongeUK/download.git undefined
npm ERR! not found: git
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed using git.
npm ERR! This is most likely not a problem with npm itself.
npm ERR! Please check if you have git installed and in your PATH.

npm ERR! System Windows_NT 6.2.9200
npm ERR! command "C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\\\node.exe" "C:\\Program Files\\nod
ejs\\node_modules\\npm\\bin\\npm-cli.js" "install" "adapt-cli" "-g"
npm ERR! cwd c:\
npm ERR! node -v v0.10.33
npm ERR! npm -v 1.4.28
npm ERR! code ENOGIT
npm ERR! not ok code 0

---------------

Before I poke IT with a stick about restrictions is there a reason why Grunt will install but not Adapt? I have very little restrictions in general. I can install software pretty freely (GIMP, FTP clients, etc) and have never had a problem.

Cheers

Steven

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Friday, 22 May 2015, 8:57 AM

Hello,

This is most likely not a problem with npm itself. Please check if you have git installed and in your PATH.

You can check this by opening a command prompt and typing "git --version"

It should respond with the currently installed version, if not please install Git for Windows , ensuring you have sufficient privileges.

Chris

by Steven Swanepoel - Monday, 25 May 2015, 3:38 AM

Hi Chris,

Yeah I've got Git installed (v1.9.5) and have Git's directory (C:\Users\sswanepoel\AppData\Local\GitHub\PortableGit_c2ba306e536fdf878271f7fe636a147ff37326ad\bin) copied into my PATH.

Still no luck :(

Error message from Git Bash:

$ npm install adapt-cli -g
npm WARN addRemoteGit Error: Command failed: git -c core.longpaths=true config -
-get remote.origin.url
npm WARN addRemoteGit
npm WARN addRemoteGit at ChildProcess.exithandler (child_process.js:751:12)
npm WARN addRemoteGit at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:110:17)
npm WARN addRemoteGit at maybeClose (child_process.js:1015:16)
npm WARN addRemoteGit at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.
js:1087:5)
npm WARN addRemoteGit git://github.com/SpongeUK/download.git resetting remote C
:\Users\sswanepoel\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_git-remotes\git-github-com-SpongeU
K-download-git-43962e31 because of error: { [Error: Command failed: git -c core.
longpaths=true config --get remote.origin.url
npm WARN addRemoteGit ]
npm WARN addRemoteGit killed: false,
npm WARN addRemoteGit code: 1,
npm WARN addRemoteGit signal: null,
npm WARN addRemoteGit cmd: 'git -c core.longpaths=true config --get remote.ori
gin.url' }
npm ERR! git clone --template=C:\Users\sswanepoel\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_git
-remotes\_templates --mirror git://github.com/SpongeUK/download.git C:\Users\ssw
anepoel\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_git-remotes\git-github-com-SpongeUK-download-
git-43962e31: Cloning into bare repository 'C:\Users\sswanepoel\AppData\Roaming\
npm-cache\_git-remotes\git-github-com-SpongeUK-download-git-43962e31'...
npm ERR! git clone --template=C:\Users\sswanepoel\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_git
-remotes\_templates --mirror git://github.com/SpongeUK/download.git C:\Users\ssw
anepoel\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_git-remotes\git-github-com-SpongeUK-download-
git-43962e31: fatal: unable to connect to github.com:
git-43962e31: github.com[0: 192.30.252.131]: errno=No such file or directory
npm ERR! Windows_NT 6.2.9200
npm ERR! argv "c:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\node.exe" "c:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\
node_modules\\npm\\bin\\npm-cli.js" "install" "adapt-cli" "-g"
npm ERR! node v0.12.4
npm ERR! npm v2.10.1
npm ERR! code 128

npm ERR! Command failed: git -c core.longpaths=true clone --template=C:\Users\ss
wanepoel\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_git-remotes\_templates --mirror git://github
.com/SpongeUK/download.git C:\Users\sswanepoel\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_git-re
motes\git-github-com-SpongeUK-download-git-43962e31
npm ERR! Cloning into bare repository 'C:\Users\sswanepoel\AppData\Roaming\npm-c
ache\_git-remotes\git-github-com-SpongeUK-download-git-43962e31'...
npm ERR! fatal: unable to connect to github.com:
npm ERR! github.com[0: 192.30.252.131]: errno=No such file or directory
npm ERR!
npm ERR!
npm ERR!
npm ERR! If you need help, you may report this error at:
npm ERR! <https://github.com/npm/npm/issues>

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR! C:\Users\sswanepoel\npm-debug.log

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Monday, 25 May 2015, 5:28 PM

Hi Steven,

I can't offer an explicit resolution to your issue, but I'm noticing that 'SpongeUK' is appearing in your output. This is unusual for me to see. I would expect that 'adapt-cli' would be pulled from its adaptlearning repository. It suggests to me that git may be looking in the wrong place for the 'adapt-cli'.

You may know that SpongeUK is a highly regarded collaborator in the Adapt project. Their repositories contain some forks of the adaptlearning repositories, as do the repositories of some other collaborators. But generally speaking, one would clone and install the framework and/or authoring tool from the community repositories. Any chance that some past work with a SpongeUK repo is causing git to look there? (Just brainstorming with you here on this bank holiday.)

Regards,

Chuck

by Steven Swanepoel - Monday, 25 May 2015, 11:07 PM

Hi Chuck,

Nope never even heard of SpongeUK. I'm very new to repositories and the like, and that's what I think is the problem here. A fundamental lack of understanding of what is going on in the installation process.

The last time I fiddled with cmd to install applications was 3 years old when I had Ubuntu on dual boot.

I followed https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/wiki/Setting-up-your-development-environment step-by-step so if there's some steps before this like setting something up in Github or if it doesn't explicitly tell me to change directories I didn't do it. 

I'm not doing very because I basically got stuck at step 1 of the process!

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 1:09 AM

I'm ready to join Simon and others to help you get up and running. Step 1 is a good place to start! Please forgive me/us if we ask you to verify steps you've already taken or ask you to repeat steps. And don't hesitate to ask questions that you might think are embarrassingly simple--I've asked my share! (Did you find this command line cheat sheet? There are plenty of others on-line.) And I'm filling this post with links just in case you're looking for more explanation.

I would recommend that you close all command prompt windows, and then open one again with administrative rights.

Your previous posts confirm that you have node and npm installed. To ensure that it is indeed installed globally, and because we're not looking over your shoulder, I recommend that you verify that your single window can find git and node. If they have been installed globally, you'll be able to run them from any folder. It can't hurt to navigate right away to the folder where you want to install the Adapt framework. So I recommend that you do so. Use cd to move to that folder.

When you get to that folder, run the following command to verify that node commands are recognized:
node --version
It should return a version number. Node version 0.10.33 is indeed required for the Adapt authoring tool, but the Adapt framework seems to work fine with later versions of node. If you are set at v0.10.33, that's just fine. Sooner or later you'll want to explore the authoring tool, and you won't have to make any adjustments. (The difference between the framework and authoring tool.) Your previous posts have indicated that you are following directions for installing the framework as a stand-alone tool, so I'm continuing in that direction.

In the same folder, run the following command:
git --version
It should return a version number. We are not looking for any particular version; simply confirmation that git can be reached from within this folder.

If both node and git return a version number, I would try running the following command from the same place as before:
adapt --version
Based on your previous posts, I'm not expecting this to return a version number, but maybe we'll get lucky. Assuming it doesn't return a version number, the adapt-cli will need to be installed. Run the following command from the same place:
npm install adapt-cli -g
('adapt-cli' is one word; however, there is a space before the '-g' which stands for 'install globally'.) If this does not install successfully, please post (once again) the output from the install process that printed in the command prompt window. If it seems to install successfully, verify by running:
adapt --version
('adapt' is the command used by the 'adapt-cli'.) As always, if installed, it should return a version number.

Since this is where you seemed to have trouble last time, I'm going to stop here, but you don't have to. If adapt-cli installs successfully, continue with installing grunt and then try creating a course.

If any of this fails along the way, post the output that appears in your command window by copying and pasting. Too much information is better than too little--never can tell what we might spot. 

Cheers!
Chuck

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 8:00 AM

Hello Steven,

I think you have a couple of issues outstanding here, from your error logs I can see two things.

1) Git does now seem to be recognized in your PATH, however it is getting error reponses returning that the addRemoteGit command failed.

2) The current version of Adapt Command Line tools does not use the repository "git://github.com/SpongeUK/download.git", the master branch has used a different repository since v0.017.

Is it possible that you are using an old or cached version of adapt-cli? The command :-

npm ls adapt-cli -g

will check the global version of adapt-cli that you have installed. The current released version is v0.0.21.

If necessary, you can update from an older version using the command :-

npm cache clean

npm update adapt-cli -g

Let us know what that comes back with and if you manage to get the CLI installed.

Chris

Picture of Simon Ray
by Simon Ray - Friday, 22 May 2015, 9:02 AM

Steven

Quick question, are you running PC or Mac?

Simon

by Steven Swanepoel - Monday, 25 May 2015, 3:34 AM

Hi Simon,

I'm on a PC, Windows 8.1.

Cheers,

Picture of Simon Ray
by Simon Ray - Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 12:32 AM

Hey Steven

That rules out a Mac error! :)

When I installed on my work machine, I had to completely disconnect from all my work networks and log in as an Admin, and run the cmd prompt and Gitbash as admin as well.  I had to uninstall a couple of times and run through the process from scratch.

One thing to make sure of is that Mongod is running before you start the install.  For me, I open the cmd and type:

C:\"Program Files\MongoDB\Server\3.0\bin\mongod.exe" (the quote marks are required because of the space in Program Files)

This starts mongod. I do not close the cmd window or mongod shuts down... I have to do the same thing everytime I want to use Adapt.

Hope this helps...

Simon

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 1:14 AM

Hey Steven,

Seems like we should really clear up whether your intention is to install the authoring tool or the framework. 
Installation instructions for framework
Installation instructions for authoring tool

Chuck