Picture of Les Berks
Installing npm
by Les Berks - Sunday, 24 May 2015, 8:28 AM

Hi there

Am trying to install Adapt on Windows 8.1 , but when I run npm install gett the following error. As far as I can see my paths are set OK

C:\>npm install
npm ERR! install Couldn't read dependencies
npm ERR! package.json ENOENT, open 'C:\package.json'
npm ERR! package.json This is most likely not a problem with npm itself.
npm ERR! package.json npm can't find a package.json file in your current directo
ry.

npm ERR! System Windows_NT 6.2.9200
npm ERR! command "C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\nodist\\bin/v/0.10.33/node.exe" "C:\\Wi
ndows\\SysWOW64\\nodist\\bin\\node_modules\\npm\\bin\\npm-cli.js" "install"
npm ERR! cwd C:\
npm ERR! node -v v0.10.33
npm ERR! npm -v 1.4.6
npm ERR! path C:\package.json
npm ERR! code ENOPACKAGEJSON
npm ERR! errno 34
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:
npm ERR!     C:\npm-debug.log
npm ERR! not ok code 0

C:\>

Best Regards

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
Re: Installing npm
by Chuck Lorenz - Monday, 25 May 2015, 11:58 AM

Hi Les,

If you are installing the authoring tool and are running npm install as part of 3. Run the Install Script, I would expect to see a different current working directory. I see in the output you provided that you are working off the root of the C-drive. I would have expected that you cloned adaptlearning/adapt_authoring and changed directories into adapt_authoring before running npm install—so was expecting to see something like C:\adapt_authoring>npm install

You have installed npm globally but the 'install' command must be run where it can find package.json. It is located inside the adapt_authoring folder. If this explanation reflects your situation, I'd suggest that you try running npm install again but only after you have made adapt_authoring your current working directory.

Hope this helps!
Chuck

Picture of Les Berks
by Les Berks - Monday, 25 May 2015, 2:14 PM

Hi Chuck,

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

You where quite right, switching to the adapt_authoring folder fixed it.

Unfortunately, despite a re-install I am still left with my original problem of:

Completed the npm install.

Installing plugins for the Adapt framework.
 'adapt' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

ERROR: 1
ERROR:  1
Framework install failed. See console output for possible reasons.

C:\adapt_authoring>path

My paths appear to be OK, so not quite sure where to go from here.....

Best Regards

Les

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Monday, 25 May 2015, 3:29 PM

Hi Les, 

I know from past posts that you've had trouble getting the adapt-cli installed. So I'm happy to repeat general suggestions, but I hope the repetition doesn't add to your frustration...just trying to help you with the mental checklist. If you've done the below with no success, we'll need more info from you in order to brainstorm more ideas.

'adapt' is not recognized as an internal or external command
'adapt' is the command used by the adapt-cli . Your installation will not succeed until it is installed.
From C:\adapt_authoring> run adapt --version
If it is installed, it will return a version number. And in that case, we'll need to look at other reasons "'adapt' is not recognized".

If it doesn't return a version number, adapt-cli is not installed. In this case, because I am somewhat familiar with your past attempts, I would suggest that you close all your command windows. Once all are closed, open a command with administrative rights. Navigate to the adapt_authoring folder so that it is once again your current working directory (e.g., C:\adapt_authoring>) and run the following command:
npm install -g adapt-cli
If it fails, post the output please so that we can see if it gives clues. If it appears to complete without errors, please run again 'adapt --version' so that we can get confirmation that it is indeed installed. 
If the installation of the adapt-cli fails, we'll need to begin to look at your installation of node and git.

Chuck

Picture of Les Berks
by Les Berks - Monday, 25 May 2015, 6:47 PM

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for your persistence !!

This is the output I got when I ran npm install -g adapt -cli after I closed down everything, running from an admin cmd line.

C:\>cd adapt_authoring

C:\adapt_authoring>npm install -g adapt -cli
npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/adapt
npm http 304 https://registry.npmjs.org/adapt
adapt@0.2.9 C:\Users\lesb\nodist\bin;\node_modules\adapt

C:\adapt_authoring>adapt --version
'adapt' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\adapt_authoring>

Best Regards

Les

Picture of Michael Memory
by Michael Memory - Wednesday, 27 May 2015, 2:10 AM

Les,

I ran into a similar problem when I installed Adapt on a Windows machine. I got around it by manually telling the computer where to look for the Adapt command.

One thing you could try is going to the path where it says adapt has been installed (C:\Users\lesb\nodist\bin;\node_modules\adapt) and check to see if the files are actually there.

If the files for Adapt were in fact copied there, the problem might be that the path to the 'adapt' command executable wasn't set properly for the command prompt to find it and execute it. You can manually insert the path as an environment (path) variable. There are some resources including this one that helped me with that. I can also make a quick tutorial video if you go that route, and need some extra help.

Michael

Picture of Les Berks
by Les Berks - Wednesday, 27 May 2015, 7:16 AM

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for responding.

I checked the location you mentioned but there is no adaot folder within the C:\Users\lesb\nodist\bin;\node_modules\adapt folder structure.

I am running anytrhibg from a coimmand prompt(admin) windows so asume I have the correct permissions, so not reallt sure why its not being indtalled.

Best Regards

Les