Picture of Fabian Fernandez
Is plugin publish required?
by Fabian Fernandez - Monday, 1 June 2015, 6:47 PM

Is it required that the Plugin/Component be published online publicly?
Can I use it in my local adapt authoring without publishing the plugin online to adapt?
How can I do that?
Thanks

Re: Is plugin publish required?
by Fabian Fernandez - Monday, 1 June 2015, 7:45 PM

Replying to myself but need someone to corroborate.

They way of having your plugins private w/o publishing is just zipping the folder and going to the authoring tool and uploading your zip, right?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 2 June 2015, 8:45 AM

Yes that's right, you're under no obligation to publish your plugins in order to use them directly within the framework or the authoring tool.

me
by Sven Laux - Tuesday, 2 June 2015, 12:31 PM

Hi Fabian,

just to add to Matt's response: as Matt says, there is no obligation to make your code available to the community. However, the community would certainly appreciate it and there are benefits to doing so (e.g. shared maintenance, development, fault finding and fixing etc). It's also much easier for the community to help you with any questions you may have if they can see what you have written.

In summary, we would like to encourage everyone to share their code and point this community towards it. This is how open source "works best". It would help if everyone considers making their code available by default. That, at least, is the intention of this project.

Thanks,
Sven

by Fabian Fernandez - Tuesday, 2 June 2015, 6:31 PM

Hi Sven.
Yeap, no doubt it is that way, I also believe in open source, the thing is that for this particular development of this plugin, it is for a client and I would need to confirm with him later if he wants to share this piece of work. It's not my decision sadly.
Thanks again!

Picture of michael lennon
by michael lennon - Sunday, 19 July 2015, 5:50 PM

Folks, how do you keep your plugins private if you are not using the authoring tool, but are just using the framework?

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Sunday, 19 July 2015, 7:02 PM

Hi Michael,

Registering plug-ins is in the best interest of the growth of Adapt; but if you have a situation like Fabian's, it's very reasonable if you'd prefer not to.

Registering a plug-in

• allows it to be "searched" by the adapt-cli (`adapt search hotgraphic`)
  • allows it to be installed with the adapt-cli (`adapt install contrib-hotgraphic`)
  • gives the community a way of tracking down owners/developers of plug-ins
  • gives the authoring tool a means of tracking versions and advising when a plug-ins needs to be updated

The framework does not require a plug-in to be registered. So a developer doesn't have to "publicize" a plug-in in order to install it and use it. You can add your component to the src/components folder, list it in adapt.json, and then run
adapt install
followed by
grunt build

Adapt doesn't have a way to provide another layer of privacy. I'm assuming that you are aware that most accounts on GitHub are public and searchable. So if you are using something like GitHub to host your plug-in source code and require more privacy, you'll need to explore the account options. 

Post back, please, if I misunderstood your question.

Chuck

Picture of michael lennon
by michael lennon - Tuesday, 21 July 2015, 8:43 AM

Thanks Chuck,

For some courses that I am considering developing using the framework, I am reusing an existing course which comprises many highCharts and other javascript "tools" which would not be of interest to the wider community as they are only contextually relevant to the course itself, and in many cases would only vary in terms of the data, labels etc. So using locally installed plugins would probably be best.