Picture of Stephen Bates
Detecting user's connection speed to server lower bandwidth content
by Stephen Bates - Tuesday, 9 June 2015, 9:41 PM

Hi Folks,

I've poked around the forum but didn't find anything addressing this. We are looking at building courses in adapt that will be consumed in a setting with a slower connection shared over an entire location. This makes certain aspects of an Adapt course, such as media (video) less viable due to loading times. So what i'm wondering is, is there any possible way to detect connection speed and serve alternate content, like just a static image?

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Detecting user's connection speed to server lower bandwidth content
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 10 June 2015, 9:26 AM

Not that is currently built into Adapt, no. I'm not aware of any community extension that does this, but that's not to say there isn't one.

Assuming there isn't, there's some info on stackoverflow about doing this if you wanted to build one.

Picture of Stephen Bates
Re: Detecting user's connection speed to server lower bandwidth content
by Stephen Bates - Wednesday, 10 June 2015, 10:24 PM

Thanks for that Matt.

I've been backtracking through the Adapt code for an analogous example, such as to see how the Hot Graphic component is replaced by the Narrative component at smaller device widths - it looks as though if there were such a utility build into Adapt it might go in the device.js where it is checking for platform and screen size.