Picture of Simon Ray
Framework 2.0
by Simon Ray - Thursday, 18 June 2015, 1:55 AM

Hi folks

When the Framework is updated to v2.0, what changes, if any will we see in the Authoring Tool?  Will those of us not in the Learning Pool environment see some of their features, like the Theme menu option, in a revised Tool?

Cheers

Simon

Picture of Helen Bailey
Re: Framework 2.0
by Helen Bailey - Thursday, 18 June 2015, 1:01 PM

Hi Simon,

Sadly the answer is nothing any time soon. The Authoring tool is a separate project and from what I understand it is months, not weeks, before the Authoring tool is likely to be updated. 

If more people contribute to working on the project perhaps it will move along faster. But yes I'm aware there is a new look and feel and some new functionality proposed. I expect Learning Pool's Theme menu may be their own feature though.

Helen

me
Re: Framework 2.0
by Sven Laux - Thursday, 18 June 2015, 3:23 PM

Hi Simon,

to add to Helen's note - I'm afraid the changes in the framework will not reflect in the authoring tool until later (no known date as of yet).

The authoring tool and the framework are both part of this project - however, they are running as two separate work streams.

The framework will (by nature) always run ahead of the authoring tool. This is really very the innovation in terms of learning design takes place. The framework is also much more mature, i.e. has been used in the market for much longer. We making sure that the v2.0 framework release will be a very complete and comprehensive one (incl. documentation, features, performance etc). We're expecting less major changes to the core of the framework and are encouraging the community and collaborators to develop plug-ins for this going forward.

The authoring tool then catches up with newer versions of the framework - we generally consider rolling the latest stable framework release into the authoring tool whenever there is a significant authoring tool release. The authoring tool is also catching up with ambitious feature set and vision we have set for it. In that sense, it is not as mature as the framework yet and our focus going forward is to get it there. (On that note, we're very keen to get more community members involved in that work stream to share the load).

Once the Framework release is done, we will document the roadmap for the authoring tool and would be keen on feedback...

Hope this helps,
Sven