Picture of Simon Ray
Completion not matching up
by Simon Ray - Tuesday, 23 June 2015, 4:26 AM

Hi all

I have an interesting thing happening in the build tool.

The course I have developed is an assessment, which they can't fail as each MCQ (12 of them) has virtually an unlimited number of attempts allowed.  The MCQ's are the only objects tracked for completion.  The Spoor is set as follows:

When I complete all the MCQ's, the tracker shows all elements within the course as complete, but when I go back to the menu, it shows incomplete.

Any idea's on what is happening?

Simon

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Completion not matching up
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 23 June 2015, 9:07 AM

Hi Simon

This usually happens because some of the items in blocks.json have duplicate 'tracking ids', however, I would have thought that the authoring tool would handle updating these for you.

Have a look in blocks.json. Every entry in there should not only have a unique _id but should also have a _trackingId property whose value should be unique.

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Tuesday, 23 June 2015, 10:46 AM

Might this also be the reason my hotgraphic, which is set to not be considered for completion, is ok on the page it's on (you can complete the page without touching it) but when you go back to the menu that page is showing as incomplete until you go back in and use the hotgraphic?!

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 23 June 2015, 3:06 PM

That sounds more like an issue with how it's been set not to be considered for completion. How have you done that?

To be honest, I don't think you can really exclude a component from completion in the current version of Adapt. This should be resolved with v2, where we've implemented an _isOptional setting for components that will mean they can be ignored when it comes to doing any completion calculations.

Picture of Simon Ray
by Simon Ray - Wednesday, 24 June 2015, 5:54 AM

Hi Matt

Thanks for the reply.  I had to go looking for the location of those files...I am learning how to use CSS/LESS as I go with Adapt! :)

The _id and _trackingId properties all looked unique, so I don't think this is it.

Further investigation in the build tool showed me that I had to visit all my accordions and the final block, with just text in it, for it to mark off as complete.

Is there anything I should go looking for in the CSS/LESS for these components (and where do I find them?).

Another big question...if I adjust something in the files that isn't in the theme, which you zip and upload as an extension, how do I get that change to be reflected in the build tool? I haven't done any work in the Framework, so I'm flying blind so to speak...

Simon

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 24 June 2015, 1:32 PM

Simon, when you say "the tracker shows all elements within the course as complete" - what do you mean by 'the tracker'? I was assuming you were referring to the LMS, but reading your response above and reading your original post back I'm not so sure. Do you maybe mean the Page Level Progress indicator in the top right? If so, you can set a component so that it is not displayed in there - but unfortunately at this point in time I think the user is still required to complete it to attain overall course completion. This should be fixed in v2 of the framework where we have implemented a setting to allow you to set components to be excluded from completion calculations.

As regards your question on the build tool - I'm afraid I'm in the reverse position to you, I do everything directly in the framework and know very little about the build tool!

Picture of Simon Ray
by Simon Ray - Wednesday, 24 June 2015, 11:40 PM

Matt, you are correct.  I am referring to the Page Level Progress indicator at the top of the page and on the menu page.

With the framework, I am thinking I need to start working in that rather than the build tool...it would be great if someone could do some instructions for people who have limited coding skills.  

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 25 June 2015, 10:02 AM

You don't need any coding skills to create content with the framework. You do need to be a bit more technically-minded than the average person; if you've managed to get the authoring tool up and running you should be fine ;-)

Picture of Simon Ray
by Simon Ray - Monday, 27 July 2015, 6:34 AM

Hi Matt

Looking back at this issue again... I have been building (successfully!) in the Framework, but am having the same issue with the tracking.

I have a short course with 12 MCQ's.  The MCQ's are all I want as reportable progress, so I have Progress tracking as true.

There are a few accordions as well, and their progress is set to false, so they don't show up in the drawer, however they are reporting back to the menu as not complete if you don't view them, but not to the progress bar in the toolbar.

Each block in the blocks.json folder has both a unique ID and tracking number. Is there anywhere else that might be causing the accordions to report as complete/not complete?

Simon

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Monday, 27 July 2015, 5:29 PM

Hi Simon,

Following on from Matt, I can confirm this behaviour is as implemented in v1.1.1 of the framework.

The menu completion bar is based upon all of it's children components.

The page completion bar is measured according to all of the components explicitly included using the pagelevelprogress properties.

Therefore you must complete everything on the page for the menu to appear complete but only those included explicitly for the page to appear complete. To avoid this difference you should include all of your components in the pageLevelProgress for v1.1.1.

Alternatively you can log an issue at https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-pageLevelProgress/issues if you'd like this behavior changed, however, as v2 is just about to arrive, and having personally spent a great deal of time working to sort out this issue in v2, i know it's quite big change, so I'm not sure if a fix is likely to happen for v1.1.1 any time soon or even at all (this fix is kinda a 'breaking' one in some respects as it introduces a raft of new features).

I would suggest either the above solution (including everything), turning off plp entirely for that page, or holding off for v2 where this issue is fixed.

I hope that helps.

Ollie.

Picture of Simon Ray
by Simon Ray - Monday, 27 July 2015, 7:39 PM

Hi Matt

Thanks for that response! I'll hold off for v2.0. Will v1.1.1 course migrate across to v2.0 easily or will I need to rebuild my course?

Simon

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 29 July 2015, 8:58 AM

Hi Simon

It should be possible as work has been done to try and make the v2 code compatible with courses built in v1

I'm sure there will still be the odd tweak required to update a v1 course to v2. I can't guarantee it will necessarily be 'easy' - but not on the scale of a complete rebuild either.

Picture of Simon Ray
by Simon Ray - Wednesday, 29 July 2015, 10:27 AM

Great, thanks Matt.