Picture of Greg Pell
Bookmarking & Progress?
by Greg Pell - Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 2:01 AM

Hi All,

So I have built some courses and now testing the SCORM/LMS deployment aspect to them. I have added the SPOOR and BOOKMARKING extensions to my course through the authoring tool. The main issue I am seeing so far is that when I have progessed through a course, close it and then re-open it, it doesn't seem to remember any of the progress I have made and takes me back to the main menu.  The bookmarking extension aside, I though SPOOR would have at least remembered how much I have already completed?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Greg

Picture of Helen Bailey
Re: Bookmarking & Progress?
by Helen Bailey - Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 8:24 AM

Hi Greg,

Which LMS are you using? Have you activated SPOOR and BOOKMARKING in the Manage Extensions section of your course? What settings are you using in SPOOR in your project settings?

Helen

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 10:41 PM

I have enabled SPOOR and BOOKMARKING for the project in question. However I am not seeing and options for SPOOR settings under 'Project Settings'? Maybe that is a problem?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 3:50 PM

I have no used spoor via the authoring tool before but have done so in the framework itself for many, many courses. The current 'master' branch is very robust and definitely tracks progress. You do have to ensure that all blocks have a _trackingId property set on them, I am not sure how one would do this through the authoring tool though, sorry (would have guessed it's automated?)

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 7:00 PM

"I have no used spoor"
Apparently ah've turned Scottish

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 10:44 PM

I have only just started looking at SCORM/SPOOR settings now after developing in the tool for a while. I would have assumed there are block level properties for SPOOR but they don't seem to be there. Can anyone else tell me (who is using the authoring tool) if there are mean to be options there?

Thanks

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Thursday, 23 July 2015, 3:38 AM

Update. I removed and re-added the SPOOR extension from the course and now the SPOOR properties appear under 'Configuration Settings' however unfortunately after re-publishing the course it has not had any effect. The course is still not remembering how much of it I have completed upon resuming :(

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 24 July 2015, 2:04 PM

any possibility of posting the build somewhere we can have a look?

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Monday, 27 July 2015, 5:24 AM

Hi Matt,

Just sent you a PM with a link.

Thanks

Greg

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 28 July 2015, 3:38 PM

OK well I've just loaded that up into my local install of Moodle - and it's tracking fine. I completed the 'Introduction' topic, quit then relaunched and it remembered all progress both on the menu and on the Page Level Progress bar. Also works if I partially complete a page. Tested in FF (latest) and IE9.

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Wednesday, 29 July 2015, 1:29 AM

ok, well that is strange. I will have to test it in another LMS then. Maybe the one I am using has issues with the framework? or its SCORM player is interfering some how.

Thanks very much for taking a look. I will let you know how my further testing goes.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 29 July 2015, 8:39 AM

Or possibly it has cached the version prior to this i.e. the one where SCORM wasn't properly enabled?

If the course encounters problems tracking back to the LMS it will throw an error and give you lots of detail about what has gone wrong.

SCORM Cloud is a good (and free) LMS for testing things like this. You may have to reduce the size of the course a bit though, easiest way is just to delete some of the video files from the .zip. You're unlikely to need the .ogv files anyway, these should only be required by Firefox on Linux and older (v34 and earlier) versions of Firefox on OS X.

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Thursday, 30 July 2015, 4:47 AM

Hi Matt,

I have now tested it in SCORM Cloud and another LMS called eFrontPro and in both it DOES retain knowledge of progress through the module which is great. I will continue to play with it in our LMS and try and find out what is going on.

Thanks

Greg

Picture of Joannes Anthonius Rommers
by Joannes Anthonius Rommers - Friday, 31 July 2015, 7:36 AM

Hi Matt,

How did you manage to install the BOOKMARKING extension into the authoring (frontend) tool?

When I download the zip file from the github it only contains a readme file containing a title line.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 31 July 2015, 11:24 AM

I didn't, it was Greg who did.

Presumably he used the develop branch: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-bookmarking/tree/develop

Please note that the bookmarking plugin is a new plugin that's part of the upcoming v2 release. That's why you'll only find this in the develop branch of that repository. It's also unlikely to be compatible with a v1 course.

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Monday, 3 August 2015, 11:36 PM

Yeah, I installed the Develop branch. However as Matt points out, it didn't work as I would say it will only work with the new version of the framework unfortunately :-/