Picture of Paul Randle
Uploaded plugins - page editor stuck loading
by Paul Randle - Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 2:44 PM

Hi All,

I have installed and am busy building my first course with the authoring tool. I am struggling to upload non-core plugins and get them working properly. I am installing them by uploading zip folders from Github.

I appreciate not all plugins are finished and I’ve read a few posts on this forum explaining the stage the projects are at. However, I can’t get any of them to work with the authoring tool, so I think I have an issue to resolve. The one I am using to investigate is the adapt-shallowBranching-MCQ (although I’ve also looked at adapt-reveal-master, adapt-contrib-confidenceSlider-master, adapt-iframe-master, pageArticleSlider-master - all with the same issue)

The components plugins upload ok and I can see them in MongoDB, I can select them to add to blocks, but my issue seems to be that when I go to edit the page editor doesn’t display I just get the loading circle. I have debugged in Firefox and it seems that the CKeditor isn’t picking up the new plugins. It says function i () not defined in frontend/src/adaptbuilder/js/origin.js

I thought it might be due to me installing using SSH as root user, and so the file permissions might be preventing. I have since recursively changed these so that doesn’t appear to have be the problem.

I wondered if there was a rebuild or command I needed to run to reload the config with the new plugin info?

I’m happy to reinstall the whole tool to see if that resolves but my reservation is that I’d want to retain my course, and was unsure if reinstalling would overwrite my course. I have read that it’s not possible to export and import courses yet, so I didn’t know how to approach this.

Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction.

Cheers, Paul

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Uploaded plugins - page editor stuck loading
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 4:04 PM

if those are all from the cgkineo repository then none of them have yet been configured to work with the authoring tool. Sorry about that but at this time we're still working directly with the framework and so have had no driving reason to make our plugins authoring-tool compatible. It's something we'll be looking to do with a few quite soon though.

Equally if you wanted to make any compatible I suspect there isn't a vast amount to it, mainly a case of setting up the properties.schema correctly I think?

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 4:31 PM

Matt is correct. In order to work with the authoring tool must contain a valid properties.schema file which determines the properties and field types of those properties.

Have a look at any of the core plugins for examples.

Regards,

Brian

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 7:00 PM

Learning Pool's iframe plugin looks to be authoring tool compatible, if that helps any?

Picture of Paul Randle
by Paul Randle - Thursday, 23 July 2015, 1:16 PM

Perfect thanks for your help guys. After reading your comments I took a closer look at the properties.schema and now understand the differences. I have worked through my example uploaded the plugin and hey presto it loaded up as I wanted.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 23 July 2015, 2:19 PM

Which one did you do it for? If it's something you can contribute back that would be most welcome!

Picture of Paul Randle
by Paul Randle - Friday, 24 July 2015, 10:08 AM

I did it for the cgkineo/adapt-shallowBranching-MCQ, but I think this has already been incorporated into the standard MCQ component, so really it was just a useful exercise for me to understand how to make sure the properties.schema needs to be set up. Once I look at any other plugins I will share them back to the community.

I'm pretty new to Github, I'm used to coding on my own, so just need to get my head around branching and using pull requests! Every day’s a school day!

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 24 July 2015, 10:47 AM

Yeah, it's a steep learning curve!

Two things I learnt: if you're creating a branch using github, make sure you've selected the branch you want your new branch to be based on first (this should be the develop branch, if there is one)

When creating your pull request, pay attention to which branch you're trying to create your PR against - it's quite easy to accidentally select the master branch when you actually want develop.

Picture of Greg Sweet
Git tips: was Re: Uploaded plugins - page editor stuck loading
by Greg Sweet - Friday, 24 July 2015, 1:18 PM

1. Go get the book and read it. https://progit.org/
  2. Work from the command line until you have solid grasp of the commands. Graphic interfaces are great but can hide and automate commands making it hard to really grasp what's happening.
  3. YMMV, but help yourself to my personal git quick reference card: https://github.com/gps03/myGitQRC

Greg

Picture of Paul Randle
Re: Git tips: was Re: Uploaded plugins - page editor stuck loading
by Paul Randle - Saturday, 25 July 2015, 9:12 AM

Thanks guys really appreciate the info and tips!