Picture of Steve Andrews
Updating to V2
by Steve Andrews - Tuesday, 4 August 2015, 8:20 AM

Apologies if this is answer elsewhere, but can someone tell me how to upgrade a course from v1.1.0 to V2 of the framework?

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Updating to V2
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 4 August 2015, 9:18 AM

Hi Steve

That's a really good point, I'll see if someone can put some notes together around this.

Step 1 would definitely be to make a backup copy of your v1.1.0 course ;-)

Picture of Ulrich Kerzel
by Ulrich Kerzel - Tuesday, 4 August 2015, 9:27 AM

Hi,

I'm in the same situation - I've now done a fresh install and did "adapt create course", then copied over the *.json files in course/en/ from the old course to the new course (oddly I had to remove a few empty _ids) and then did "grunt build" (no errors)

Then "grunt server" - again no errors, the browser starts, it tells me it can't connect to the LMS but then "hangs"  at the stage where it says "loading" in the browser and the rotating icon underneath it.

(using Chrome and Safari on Mac Yosimite)

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Ulrich

Picture of Ulrich Kerzel
by Ulrich Kerzel - Tuesday, 4 August 2015, 10:49 AM

Hi all,

hm, it seems a lot has changed so just copying over all the json won't do it...

I got it to work (more or less) by taking

- the course.json from a clean install and update it

- take the content objects from  a clean install and update it

- take the article.json from a clean install and update it

- copy over blocks.json and components.json

This works now (more or less) - the assessment components also have changed, i.e. there is now a new button "show feedback" but I still need to make it work.

As I'm still in the phase of building myself a course template (and did wait for v2 to be released prior putting too much work into it) that's fine for me - however, once I have a set of complex courses it would be nice to have some sort of migration plan/tool from one major release to the next..

All the best

Ulrich

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Tuesday, 4 August 2015, 4:19 PM

I'm putting a new wiki page in place to help facilitate the conversion of courses. I hope you folks will review it, correct it, and add your tips. Thanks!

Chuck

Picture of Steve Andrews
by Steve Andrews - Tuesday, 4 August 2015, 9:41 AM

Thanks Matt, I'll definitely do that.

I did try just creating a fresh course, just so I could check out V2, but get an error about compiling adapt.less.

Might leave it a couple of days in case its teething problems.