Picture of Arend Raifsnider
Installing Adapt on Windows 7
by Arend Raifsnider - Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 12:44 AM

Hi all. I'm very intrigued by what I've seen from Adapt but am fairly new to using command prompts and am having trouble getting everything installed. I believe I have grunt and Node installed, but I can't seem to get Mongo running. I'm trying to follow the instructions here: http://docs.mongodb.org/manual/tutorial/install-mongodb-on-windows/

I used the installer and can see that I have a folder for Mongo in this path:

C:\Program Files\MongoDB

I don't see the mongod.exe file anywhere. Anyway, I was able to perform the md \data\db command successfully. After that, I'm stuck. When I try the second step to launch mongod.exe, I run into errors. I'm assuming I have the path incorrect, but I can't figure out why.

Thanks in advance!

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
Re: Installing Adapt on Windows 7
by Chuck Lorenz - Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 2:41 AM

Hello Arend.

Glad to see you're giving it try. Setting up Mongo is about as difficult as it gets, so hopefully we can help you make progress; then it should be all downhill.

You probably noticed from the instructions that the executable is located in this path:
mongodb\bin\mongod.exe

I would not be surprised if your MongoDB is the same as the instruction's mongodb. So use Windows File Explorer simply to locate the bin folder. Start by looking inside the MongoDB folder and any folders inside it. There is only one bin folder in mongo, so if it installed correctly, you'll find it. Once you locate the bin folder, look inside for mongod.exe.

If you are familiar with Windows search, you can search for mongod.exe.

When locate it, you have several options to run it including double-clicking the file name. (Make sure you click the right one because there are about eight files that have similar names.) Before running mongod.exe, be sure you have the correct version of node running. The easiest way to check is to open a command prompt and type node -v then press enter. If node is installed it will report the version number. You want it to be v0.10.33. If it is not, you ought not proceed until you can get this set to v0.10.33. You're just begging for headaches if you don't.

All of the navigation that I'm suggesting you do with Windows File Explorer can be done with the command prompt. Have you seen this in the authoring tool wiki: Just Enough Command Line for Installing? Installing Adapt doesn't involve anything tricky: it's mostly using cd to change directories, dir to see what's inside them, then typing a command when you've reached the right spot. So if you used command prompt earlier when installing the prerequisites, you can continue to use it with the rest of these Mongo install steps.

Hope this helps. Post again if you have further trouble.

Chuck

by Arend Raifsnider - Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 4:50 PM

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for responding! The version of node I have is v0.12.7. When you say I have to have the correct version, do you mean at least v0.10.33, or does it have to be exactly that version?

Arend

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 5:43 PM

v0.10.33 is precisely what is currently needed. (Seems that some folks have had success with other versions, but that may be system dependent and too much to expect folks to sort through in a community forum like this one.)

Now I heard from a reliable source today that work is currently under way (not simply planned) that will expand the versions of node that are acceptable. The word is that this might be completed by the end of the week. Now I wouldn't allow myself to get miffed if this estimate was missed, since some the work is done by people who are donating their time. But if you think it might be a lot of trouble reverting your version of node or installing Nodist, an option is simply to wait a few days. 

by Arend Raifsnider - Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 10:47 PM

After wrestling to change versions of Node today, I think I may have to wait. 

Picture of Praveen Bavoji
by Praveen Bavoji - Tuesday, 25 August 2015, 9:07 AM

Hi Chuck Lorenz,

Am also struct up with the installation of Adapt authoring tool. I was structed at FFMPEG, MONGOD, and the following commands also not working. Can you please give me resolution on this.

npm install -g grunt-cli
npm install -g adapt-cli

Find the attached image for the reference where i hanged up. I have tried with Git bash command line and as well as windows command prompt.

Thanks in advance.