Picture of Ryan Lehmann
Authoring tool: Quirks in the dev branch
by Ryan Lehmann - Thursday, 27 August 2015, 12:50 PM

Hi, 

I'm currently running the authoring tools (from the dev branch due to the recent incompatibility issues with the 2.0 framework).  For the most part everything is fine, but there seems to a built-in "feature" for the development team that causes the Demo course to load the first time you Preview or Publish after creating the course or changing any of the plugins, like the theme. For example, I create a new course and click Preview, but the Demo course loads.  I click Preview again and my course now loads.  I change the theme, click Preview, and the Demo course loads.  Preview again and my course loads.

It's not a huge issue (and was actually quite helpful when developing our theme), but now that we're focused on building our own courses, it a minor annoyance.  Wondering if there's an easy way to turn this "feature" off? 

There's also a strange Publish issue that may or may not be related.  When I publish one of my own courses, the zip file contains some artifacts from the Demo course.  If it were just bloating the zip file I wouldn't have even noticed, but there a file in /course/en/video/ called big_buck_bunny.ogv.  The course still loads ok in our external LMS, but our internal LMS chokes on the ogg vorbis format and causes it to fail (even though it's not even used in the course).  Removing the file manually fixes it, but again, it's minor annoyance that we'd like to fix if there's an easy workaround.

Thanks,

Ryan 

Picture of Brian Quinn
Re: Authoring tool: Quirks in the dev branch
by Brian Quinn - Thursday, 27 August 2015, 1:41 PM

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for raising this.  I believe this is due to the sample course being bundled with the framework when it's pulled down.  The authoring tool has a dependency on the framework.  

The framework's src/course folder is actually removed on a new authoring tool install using the develop branch, so to get around this just remove the src/course folder.  (The authoring tool actually uses src/courses in the temp folder as it's working directory).  

Once you've removed the course folder from your /temp/{tenantid}/adapt_framework/src directory, trigger a full build by either re-selecting the menu or the theme and clicking Preview or Publish.  At this point you should see your course as expected, without the bloat from the default course assets.

Regards,

Brian

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Thursday, 27 August 2015, 2:12 PM

One for the FAQ page methinks!

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Thursday, 27 August 2015, 2:53 PM

The upgrade script on the develop branch actually removes the sample course when the framework is updated.  It should be removed on fresh installation also.

Brian

Picture of Ryan Lehmann
by Ryan Lehmann - Thursday, 27 August 2015, 3:12 PM

Thanks Brian! The first issue is fixed and the second one is fixed with new courses, but the "bloat" still appears in courses that I've already created.  Is it safe to go into temp/{tenentID}/adapt_framework/courses/{courseID}/build/course/en/ and delete the files from the existing courses as well?

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Thursday, 27 August 2015, 4:02 PM

Hi Ryan,

Yes, you can delete that.  Actually, if you remove the entire [courseID] folder it should regenerate the next time you hit Preview/Publish.

Regards,

Brian

Picture of Ryan Lehmann
by Ryan Lehmann - Thursday, 27 August 2015, 5:04 PM

That worked. Thanks again Brian!