Picture of Laith Salama
Courses won't save - Server 500
by Laith Salama - Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 2:14 PM

Hi everyone,

Relatively new to this, but managed to install everything and kick it off running, even managed editing the demo course in JSON. Hoorrah!

Problem is when I try to create a course using the authoring tool. It keeps giving me the error shown in the screenshot. Basically it won't save the course I can add sections, pages etc but it won't save them at all.

I tried fixing this by following the instructions in a previous post by installing nvm but that hasn't fixed it.

Anyone else had any issues with this and resolved it?

Thanks

Picture of Rupert Abel
Re: Courses won't save - Server 500
by Rupert Abel - Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 2:37 PM

Well I am hardly the best person to be giving advice on adapt, as I have been using it for 48 hours and having (different) problems as well. However, looking at that, are you sure that mongodb is running? You can check that it is running with various command prompts, but a visual way of doing the same thing would be to install Robomongo and if you can see the Adapt database there with the data, you know you are connected.

As I understand it, the data you are creating in your course is stored in the database, so if you try and save and have a problem, then the database is the first place that I would be looking.

It's worthy of investigation IMO.

Picture of Oscar Arango
by Oscar Arango - Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 3:01 PM

Your mongo db is running, or you wouldn't be able to get to the authoring tool.  If your using Mac, create a folder on the desktop and make sure you keep and sudo everything for Adapt when your setting things up.  I had that same issue last week, it's a permissions issue, so make sure your not keeping it on any system folders.

when installing the mongodb, make sure you chmod the /db directory.  After that, when installing the Auth tool, use sudo for all.  If your on a PC, then i won't be able to help you, but would have to assume it's related.

and another thing, use the dev version of the auth tool, it works better.

Picture of Laith Salama
by Laith Salama - Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 5:06 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses, I tried your suggestion Rupert and Mongo was running as Oscar said, however the issue was with node. I downgraded to 0.10.33 and it seems to have worked. I can now create, save and publish courses.

Although it's kicked up a new error as described in this thread as to publishing the courses and only outputting the JSON file into the scorm rather than the whole package.

I'll follow through the resolution and see if it works.

Thanks guy, much appreciated!

Picture of Oscar Arango
by Oscar Arango - Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 6:27 PM

Ahh, yes, I forgot about Node.  Your right, any other version of node will kinda break the framework and authoring tool.  Glad your up and running.  

In your development venture with Adapt, if you figure out how to use Notify I could really use the help.

thanks,

Picture of Laith Salama
by Laith Salama - Wednesday, 16 September 2015, 10:10 PM

Hi Oscar, I have no idea what Notify is, but i'll be looking into Adapt more tomorrow and if I come across it and manage to get it up and running i'll let you know! Scouts honour.

Thanks for your help.

Picture of James Brown
by James Brown - Thursday, 17 September 2015, 7:16 AM

I have the exact problem. Adapt Authoring tool is set up and working fine, i downgraded the theme from 2.0 to 1.1.1 but sill cannot preview the courses. After over 5 new installations on two machines, i resulted to using the framework and not the Authoring tool.  I eagerly await the release of version 1.2 of the tool. If anyone has managed to fix this, please provide detailed step by step instructions of how you did it. It will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Picture of John Niezen
by John Niezen - Thursday, 17 September 2015, 7:32 AM

Hi Philip, check your menus. Try to put that on version 1.1.1 and see what happens.

Cheers.

Picture of Rupert Abel
by Rupert Abel - Friday, 18 September 2015, 8:52 AM

I have posted this on other threads, but as the problem is on a few threads I will copy onto each one. I got this working by using Dennis's instructions on 

https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=868

As follows

The fix worked for me. I can now preview and publish with the authoring tool. Thought I would update on how I did this, for anyone still struggling. Worked first time as well.

For the purposes of doing this, I had freshly installed windows 7 onto a spare computer rather than use my work computer.

This is what I did.

Installed git.
Once I had done that, from git bash, I cloned the authoring tool as per the instructions in the wiki. Then from git bash, I used the command given by Dennis

$ git checkout develop

Once I had done that, I just went through the usual procedure from the wiki. That was as follows

Install Node.js
Verify npm is installed
Install FFmpeg
Install the Grunt and Adapt Command Line Tools
Install MongoDB
Install the Required npm Packages

Now before running the install script, as per Dennis's instructions, I run grunt build from the command prompt. I do not know if this made any difference or not. But it is what I did.

Then once, I had done that, I ran node install to complete the job.

Now it is running fine and I have done a few screens, published out and they are working nicely. If this is a false dawn I will report back, but just wanted to post this in case there is anyone strugglineg out there atm who this may benefit.