Picture of Rupert Abel
What skills do you need to have to develop with the Adapt framework?
by Rupert Abel - Thursday, 17 September 2015, 9:49 AM

Hi, I had been having, like others, issues with the adapt authoring tool (the preview and publish), so have decided to experiment with developing a module just using the framework. Before doing that, I think this is a question which others looking at the forum for the first time would also benefit from. Before embarking on this, I am wondering which skills you need and what level?

Looking around, I seem to be getting some conflicting answers so would appreciate hearing from anybody who has been developing with the Adapt framework.

I had been thinking the skils you would need were

HTML/JavaScript/CSS
Good level of experience with command lines

However, I saw a comment here on the forum that caught my eye saying that to use the framework you need no coding experience.

So, just before I get started, I was wondering on the skills and level. I am fine with the installation part.

Thanks.

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: What skills do you need to have to develop with the Adapt framework?
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 17 September 2015, 10:35 AM

Hi Rupert

As with so many questions, the answer is 'it depends'...!

However, if you just want to use the framework to build courses, you don't need any HTML/JavaScript/CSS experience. You'll need a bit of tech savvy and confidence to do all the command line stuff necessary to install the framework - as I'm sure you've figured out, but after that it's pretty minimal and will just be a case of editing .json files and copying assets into the correct location.

If your course is to go on an LMS then a basic understanding of SCORM would help.

If you want to get into changing the styling of your course away from the Adapt default then you will need to have an understanding of HTML and CSS - specifically LESS, the CSS pre-processor that we use in the Framework and Handlebars, the HTML templating system we use.

If you want to get into being able to customise the behaviour of Adapt plugins beyond what you can do with the JSON - or even create your own plugins - then you will need to know JavaScript and specifically have a good working knowledge of Backbone/Underscore and JQuery. Familiarity with Require and perhaps Modernizr probably wouldn't go amiss either.

Hope this helps

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Thursday, 17 September 2015, 11:46 AM

Hi Rupert,

Welcome!

Further to what Matt says, I think although we'd say that to master Adapt, you need to have intermediate/advanced knowledge in CSS/HTML and JS (and related tech: backbone. handlebars, underscore, jquery etc.), if you have the confidence, you can pick these things up as you go along.

Here are some things that you can do to get you on your way to becoming an Adapt ninja (increasing in difficulty):

1. Install Adapt
  2. Create a course
  3. Tweak the theme
    • Change existing variables (fonts, colours, paddings etc.)
    • Add some custom CSS
  4. Dive into plugin code
    • Change some plugin functionality
    • Change a plugin template
  5. Write your own theme (use vanilla as a starting point)
  6. Create your own plugin
Picture of Rupert Abel
by Rupert Abel - Thursday, 17 September 2015, 11:59 AM

Thanks Matt & Tom, both those replies are really helpful to have in mind before starting developing. I would also have thought that people looking into adapt, but haven't actually touched anything, would find this thread very useful as an overview.

Thanks again! :)

Picture of Arend Raifsnider
by Arend Raifsnider - Thursday, 17 September 2015, 2:55 PM

I also had to install the framework rather than the authoring tool. I would say that it's good to have a basic understanding of how HTML and CSS work, since it means you at least grasp the concept of having different source files.

I'm also a newbie, and though the learning curve can feel steep I'm actually glad I was forced to use the framework. I still don't know how to do a lot with it, but it's forcing me to gain some valuable skills I wouldn't otherwise have.

And having a supportive community helps! There are some truly helpful people here.