Picture of sander van zijl
Serious problem with authoring tool
by sander van zijl - Monday, 21 September 2015, 9:48 AM

Today I was working on my course and I moved a hotgraphic from one block to another in the authoring tool

when trying to preview this change, the course was stuck on "loading". I checked the hotgraphic and all the links to the images were gone. So I restored the links, but the preview was still stuck onloading.

I moved to a backup from a few days ago, same problem.

effectively I now lost a few weeks of work if I cannot figure out why I cannot get past the loading screen on preview.any and all suggestions are welcome. this is a serious bug. not being able to solve this means I will have to look for another tool to create scorm courses, because this is a serious reliability issue.

me
Re: Serious problem with authoring tool
by Sven Laux - Monday, 21 September 2015, 10:19 AM

Thanks for letting us know, Sander. I have flagged this to the team to look at and advise.

by sander van zijl - Monday, 21 September 2015, 10:41 AM

Thanks, our efforts so far have show that creating any new course results in a loading only page.
something seems to have broken. it might or moght not be related to moving the hotgraphic.

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Monday, 21 September 2015, 10:48 AM

Have you recently updated the extensions in your authoring tool? I found the same issue when I recently hit the update button.

I restored old releases of the components from github and that seemed to fix it. It turned out to be the graphic one for me but I think the hotgraphic one caused issues too.

Also try opening your course, applying the theme (even if it's the same one you've always had) and then preview again (this forces a rebuild so the preview will take longer than usual).

Any joy? I'm also happy to Skype with you and try and work it out.

Helen

Any joy?

Picture of Joannes Anthonius Rommers
by Joannes Anthonius Rommers - Monday, 21 September 2015, 12:11 PM

Hi Helen,

We have tried to do a recompile of the course but that is not successful. How can we restore components to an old release?

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Monday, 21 September 2015, 10:51 AM

Hi Sander,

Firstly, have you updated anything on either the authoring tool or the framework prior to making your change?

As Helen has suggested, try a full compile.  The easiest way to doing this is to go to Menu Picker or Theme Picker, just click Save, then Preview again.

The fact that you've got as far as the Loading... screen suggests that the framework build has actually worked, but there is something (typically a Javascript error) which is preventing the content from displaying.  If you bring up developer tools and check the console do you see any error?

by sander van zijl - Monday, 21 September 2015, 11:46 AM

thanks for the replies.

there was no updating of components. it was literally:

• -add block
  • - move component
  • - try preview

- since then my course could not preview, but other new courses also have problems.

We tried checking the image links, but other content, that was previously working is also broken.
The full compile is not changing anything.

error message in my course: error: missing helper:'a11y_text'

error in new courses: TypeError:this.model.checkInteractionCompletionStatus is not a function. sorry no resourcesobject is set on the course.json file

everything was working until this morning.

by sander van zijl - Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 12:16 PM

my college jay also started a topic about this issue.

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 1:00 PM

Sander,

Assuming you're on v1.1.5 of the framework now, can you try the following?

Within the /temp/{id}/adapt_framework/src folder remove:

• extensions
  • theme
  • menu
  • components

Then from the /temp/{id}/adapt_framework/ folder can you run "adapt install"?  This will bring down the plugins associated with version 1.x of the framework.

After that, try a force full re-build of your course in the authoring tool, i.e. go into your course, select a theme or menu, then click Preview.

by sander van zijl - Thursday, 24 September 2015, 8:02 AM

we are investigating a different approach at the moment.

we did a new install on a new server and are trying to copy the database and assets.

so far this seems to work up to a certain point. There are still some errors. not everything seems to be copied correctly.

this approach seems to be almost the same as what you are advising.

we will keep you updated.